RAF Markings and Camouflage (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The late RAF camo scheme for daylight fighter machines.

Source unknown...

Attachments

• SpitVb camo_1.jpg
    SpitVb camo_1.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 1,600
  • SpitVb camo_2.jpg
    SpitVb camo_2.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 1,507
Thanks Antoni. I guess I could have investigated the link properties but I'm lazy.

Nice model Fubar. Suggest youattach pics straight from your HD to the site. It's quick and easy and your links won't disappear.

The real thing.

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 832
I'm new to the forum and needing to finish up modifying a 1:8 scale RC Spitfire, and adding much detail. It'll represent an Eagle 133 Sqn Mk.Vb flown by Don Blakelsee and I've been looking for a proper stencil font to print up for the airframe and haven't had much luck so far.

The only reference I've found for Blakeslee's Mk.V is attached - please note the serial number on the fuselage band as a font reference.

Thanks very much,
Dick

Attachments

• blakeslee_spitfire_tw_2.jpg
    blakeslee_spitfire_tw_2.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 531
Hi Dick, welcome to the forum. There are free RAF fonts available on the net. Try Googling it. If you have no luck, send me a PM as I think I may have the file somewhere that I can e-mail. Can't for the life of me remember how I loaded it though or where I got it - website was Bob's something or other IIRC

Have a look at the thread, I think in this section, asking about stencils for the Hurricane. The font is the same, although I don't know the name. I use a RAF font I downloaded, which is very close to a standard font on 'Windows'. Sorry to be vague, but I'm tired!

Have a look at the thread, I think in this section, asking about stencils for the Hurricane. The font is the same, although I don't know the name. I use a RAF font I downloaded, which is very close to a standard font on 'Windows'. Sorry to be vague, but I'm tired!
Thanks guys....I tried searching for one earlier and it appeared I was going to find what I was looking for but alas, I'm a computer caveman sometimes and it didn't work out.
I'll continue looking and check back here tomorrow.
Cheers

Dick, RAF Font download can be found here: Military Type Fonts

This downloads a zip file to your hard drive that contains several fonts. However, I can't for the life of me remember how to get the actual files recognized by MS Word, although I did get it to work and made my own decals. You'd have to copy the files to a directory but someone else will need to chime in as to where these go, unless you can find that info in the above link.

Edit: OK, ignore the last statement. Once you've downlaoded the zip file and placed the fonts into a directory on your hard drive, follow these instructions to make the font you want available in the word processing program you're using: http://www.myfonts.com/support/help_install_win.html

Last edited:
There were no "fonts," in the accepted sense of the word, for wartime aircraft. The serial was set at 8" high, with letters/numbers 5" wide, strokes 1" thick, and 1" apart. The whole thing was supposed to end 6" in front of the tailplane l/e. Naval, and P.R., aircraft's dimensions differed. The design of the letters/figures was not set down, and was left to the individual doing the application, whether by pre-cut stencil, or by a professional signwriter. The same applied to code letters; dimensions were set down, but style was left to the individual Squadrons.
Edgar

Hi guy's not really a reply, more a question on the camouflage of the RAF Brewster Buffalo's in the PTO 1941. Buffalo's where delivered around April / May in 'Temperate Land Schem C3A' later, November / December these planes had a night and sky underside.
Does anybody knows at wich date this night and sky was introduced, or was it added right after assembly? Also; the Buffalo's from 67 Squadron in Burma, seems to have no black wing. Hope someone can shed some light on this.

I don't want to highjack the thread from Henky, but I'm working on BoB Hurricanes and Spits.
Some info (on Spitfires) shows no roundels under the wings- others show A roundels. Was there a date when they switched to roundels from no markings?
Also, was there a standard height for the squadron codes? What was it? Seems there are a multitude of decal heights presented? Were there multiple heights? What were they?

Thanks

Here's a PDF of the underside marking. As the late Edgar Brooks stated above, they did change depending on squadron. I'll get back with the height if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Attachments

• 1.pdf
    159.3 KB · Views: 309

Users who are viewing this thread

Back