A-24 Banshee (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ikerus

Airman 1st Class
Sep 15, 2009
indianapolis, IN
Did the A-24 only have the olive drab finish or did it have some finish in the natural metal? The A-24 at the National Air Force Museum in Dayton, OH has one in the drab. I know that most of the Dauntless were finished in blue but can only find a few pictures that are not B&W of the Banshee.

Thanks for any help.

All the Army A-24 Banshees I have seen, were the two-tone olive drab upper and light blue-gray underside.

The only variation of the two-tone paint scheme I have seen, were the A-24s that operated out of Port Moresby, which had the typical two-tone Army color scheme AND a white tail, which was the same as RAAF aircraft.

Do you have a picture of those? The other a 24s I have seen are flown by free French and Mexico, but I see the French had some for the navy or were those SBDs?

The Free-French had A-24 Banshees and you'll notice that the overall color scheme was very close to the U.S. Army's with the OD upper and the light blue-gray underside. The Mexican A-24 was an olive color overall, with white bands beneath the national insignia on the wing's undersides.

I'm sure you've googled the A-24 for images, so you've most likely seen all the available color photos of the A-24 there is. I'll post a color profile of the A-24 that operated out of Port Moresby. It was noted that the A-24 having the typical USAAF color scheme and the white tail made it look like a RAAF Wirraway! :lol:

A-24_27th-BG.jpg

Another thing I have noticed, is that many model kits and/or modellers use a small U.S. insignia on the early war A-24 (and SBD). From 1942 until the insignia was changed again in 1943, the U.S. insignia on the SBD/A-24 was large. Very large.

Here's a (old colorized) photo that gives a good idea of how big the insignia was on the early war A-24. Unfortunately, I don't have any info of when/where the photo was taken.

A-24_Banshee.jpg

Last edited:
Yes I had googled it but had not found the pic that had the white tail.

The profile Muggins worry I had posted in other forums years ago here is the photo for it. The profile actually list the wrong unit.

white%20tail%20a-24_zps5m3yel14.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back