41 Sqdn identification letter placement

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T-6

Airman
Jul 30, 2006
Hi,
I'm trying to figure out if there was any specific convention with respect to Squadron codes and aircraft letters.
Firstly, on the left side, the order, reading left to right, is always code, roundel, letter, e.g. SQ-X. However, on the right side I've seen both SQ-X and X-SQ. We will be repainting our XIV in 41 Sqn markings and we are having a debate about this. On the few photos I've seen of 41 Sqn. Mk.XIV's, the right side is always EB-V. The argument being raised against this is that it looks "unbalanced" and that it will obscure part of the aircraft serial code. This individual is concerned that if we do it correctly, that the overpainting of the serial will look like we made a mistake! Was the placement of the squadron code and aircraft letter strictly mandated or was it interchangeable?
Another member of the team wants to put the aircraft code letter on the lower cowling so as to be visible from the front while the aircraft is parked. I've seen this on a couple of Spitfires though very few. I can find no evidence for it being placed on 41 Sqn aircraft.
I'm still trying to figure out the placement of the cockpit door stencil for Aldermaston built Spitfires.
Any help with these three items?

The only rule was that the squadron code and the individual letter had to be separated by the roundel. The order is all down to whim.

I think this should solve the problem for you !
I haven't seen any pics of the MkXIV with the individual code letter on the lower cowling. This could be because, unlike earlier Marks, the 'XIVs cowling was fairly straight, without the upswept section towards the spinner, so the letter wouldn't be very visible anyway.
(Page from 2 TAF, Vol 2.)

Attachments

• 2nd Tactical Air Force Vol2.pdf
    894.2 KB · Views: 255

Users who are viewing this thread

Back