487th BG, 838th BS markings for B-17G (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Michael Enright

Recruit
Jul 28, 2010
Australia
Hi,

I tried this query on another site and it fizzled out. Perhaps someone here might be able to help.

It concerns the engine cowl colours (if any) on 838th BS aircraft by late 1944 / early 1945.

Reference is made to varying engine cowl colours on p.101 of Roger Freeman's Mighty Eighth Warpaint and Heraldry, although there is no specific mention of colours being employed on the 838th BS aircraft cowlings, which is strangely missing from his account (the other three squadrons do get a mention).

He does state that,
"In December 1944 the 4th Combat Bomb Wing chevron was painted on the upper surface of the right wing and the under surface of the left ..... the inner yellow and the outer red".

On p. 91 of his work, The Mighty Eighth in Colour, there appears a photograph of a reputedly 487th formation showing the yellow / red chevrons.

Now, whilst not mentioning cowl colours in his much earlier 1970 The Mighty Eighth work, he does provide a colour profile of a 'representative' 487th B-17G with red cowlings and chin turret. The '2G' code suggests it is from a sister 839th BS aircraft.

All this just seems to add to the confusion, especially when the 487th BG homepge (487th Bomb Group: Markings) shows the same illustration.

The attached photograph of an 838th BG B-17G of the 838th BS appears to show coloured cowlings. But what colour?

Regards,

Michael

Attachments

• 44-8037.jpg
    44-8037.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 220
The profile shown in 'Mighty Eighth', of B-17G '2G-R', serial 338893 appears to be a one off. All of the colour and B&W photos I have in various books, show a distinct lack of coloured cowlings, other than the Olive Drab 'anti-dazzle' paint. All descriptions include the yellow tail ( a Wing indicator) and the red/yellow chevron on the port wing, with no mention of coloured cowlings.
The photo you've posted may or may not show coloured cowlings - the port outer appears to me to be bare metal, with the OD section, and the usual discolouration from oil staining, whilst the starboard outer may be painted. If it is, I'd guess at either mid blue, or possibly red, even though the tone suggests a lighter colour - compare it with the outboard section of the wing chevron, which is red.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back