Bluey Truscott's P40 E A29-142

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

coram

Recruit
Nov 19, 2010
Hi,

I'm currently building a 60 series topflight P40 and would like to paint it with Bluey Truscott's markings when he was at Milne Bay PNG in 1942 with RAAF 76 squadron. There is a good photo of him on a runway with ground crew which identifies the aircraft as A29-142, however the call sign is not visible.

I know that 76 squadron used the code "SV" but can anyone advise his ID letter? Also does anyone know if the squadron markings were also on the fuselage or just the id letter. Also does anyone know if he named his aircraft?

Thanks for the help!

I don't know the id letter of this aircraft, I can however tell you that the "SV" codes would not have been in use at this time. Infact 76 sqn used an "I" prefix to distinguise them from 75 sqn aircraft. An example below.

Attachments

• 76sqnRAAF8.jpg
    76sqnRAAF8.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 337
Gentlemen, Many thanks for your kind and prompt assistance which is invaluable! The P40 is being painted up now!

Gents

Rough mock up at the moment. The camouflage is incorrect as I painted this before seeing the accurate sketch of Bluie's P40. However the ID and roundels have been mocked up to scale from the drawing and applied. Appreciate any guidance as this will be my first attempt at scale build for RC and I'm more than happy for comment. Have assumed there are no under wing markings?I

The P40 will also be my first experiment in electric! I've taken the liberty of adding some nose art and naming her after a special lady, but I'm sure Blue would not mind that much particularly as she has an Aussie flag, and the model will be flown in Kiwi

FYI I've selected Bluey Truscott as he was an excellent pilot but had difficulties in landing (would not claim to the former....but can well and truly relate to the latter)

My next project is a large Corsair which I would like to paint in a Kiwi ace from the Pacific. Have not researched this as late, but any suggestions welcomed. I've also attached a photo of the model I'm flying at the moment, being a Tiger 40....wonderful aircraft, fitted with a four stroke glow engine and just special to fly. She will do aerobatics, but takes a lot of sky and is such a pleasure to see in the air.

Many thanks again, I appreciate your help and please excuse the amateur nature of my work!

Attachments

• kitty hawk 001.jpg
    kitty hawk 001.jpg
    976.4 KB · Views: 264
  • kitty hawk 005.jpg
    kitty hawk 005.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 247
  • Kyosho 40 tiger moth 002.jpg
    Kyosho 40 tiger moth 002.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 238
Good one Coram, certainly impressive. A couple of small points that were not clear in the profile. The fuselage roundel should not have the yellow surround, it should be "foliage green" along with the spinner. There was no legend with the profile to clear this up. The green you used for the upper surface would be fine also.

It's also helpful if you resize photos to a width of 800 pixels, so everything can appear on the PC screen without scrolling.

Cheers

Peter

Thanks Peter. I'll make the changes. Sorry about the photo, this is the first time I have use a forum for information so its all a bit new. The markings are paper proofs so will look much better when prepared on the transfer. Again thanks for the help, much appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back