Bulgaria Hungary camouflage of the WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bullo Loris

Senior Airman
Oct 14, 2006
Hi mate,

where I can find great scheme about Bulgaria Hungary WWII planes camouflage?...

Regards.

Loris

I have a Me 110 book that includes Hungarian birds. I'll try to scan some for you. If that will help. I may have others too.

ok, scanned these from several books which I've noted in the pic. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• img216.jpg
    img216.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 459
  • img217.jpg
    img217.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 278
  • img218.jpg
    img218.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 318
  • img219.jpg
    img219.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 345
  • img220.jpg
    img220.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 403
  • img223.jpg
    img223.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 276
  • img222.jpg
    img222.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 298
  • img221.jpg
    img221.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 882
Hungarian camouflage and Markings in WW2

Where to start? There's so much to say. Some color profiles were already posted above. I would recommend Squadron-Signal book (see the attachment) for anyone interested in this topic. I'm sure there are plenty of other books on the topic, but this is the one I can recommend out of personal experience.
I'll try to be short for the purpose of this thread...

National Insignia
Arrowhead national insignia was used prewar and in early war years. Arrows in Hungarian national colors (red-white-green) were painted on the main wings, while tail surfaces (both vertical and horizontal) were painted in the same colors representing Hungarian flag.
Later in the war (around the time of Barbarossa) arrowhead insignia was abandoned in favor of black square-white cross markings, still accompanied with national colors on the tail. I believe this was done at the German suggestion. Towards the end of war insignia was simplified by leaving out the white color of the cross and national colors on the tail. Sometimes the black square was reduced to the outline of the cross.

Camouflage
Some Hungarian aircraft had distinctive indigenous camouflage, but mostly aircraft wore camouflage of the countries from which they originated. Bombers of German origin in Hungarian service (Ju 87, Ju 88, etc) kept original German camouflage pattern. Same can be said about Messerschmitt Bf 109 fighters. Aircraft of Italian origin sometimes kept Italian camouflage colors (Reggiane 2000 for example) or were re-painted (like some CR.42s).

Hope this helps a little. I'll post some pictures and profiles later.

Attachments

• Copy of 001.jpg
    Copy of 001.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
Also these books might be a nice source of good infos.

Attachments

• SojLuft 12.jpg
    SojLuft 12.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 324
  • Books2.jpg
    Books2.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 353
  • Books1.jpg
    Books1.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 226
Couple of more good sources. I beleive I have all the sources Wojtek posted plus these so let me know if looking for something specific.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 384
Oops....I've forgotten about the booklet.

Attachments

• IAR80_81 TBiU.jpg
    IAR80_81 TBiU.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 254

Users who are viewing this thread

Back