Chinese prewar ww2 aircraft colours was...?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

aircro

Airman 1st Class
Jan 10, 2009
Please, need FS for that colours too.

As memeo serves Chinese planes were painted by manufactures with paints used for their own national aircraft or there was applied a clear dope only. So you need pictures of a plane to see what colours or not , were used..

I agree with Wurger. In the case of U.S. built aircraft, they were delivered in whatever colors the manufacturer was delivering to the various services. In service I don't believe there was any set national standard. I have seen pics of Curtiss Hawk IIs in 4 different schemes: OD fuselage and Yellow wings, overall OD, overall silver dope and OD upper surfaces with neutral gray undersurfaces. Of course the most famous during the war were the Curtiss 80A/P-40s of the Flying Tigers. These were taken from a British order so they were in standard RAF colors. So it really depends on what aircaft you are trying to model. Post the type you're planning on doing and We'll try to come up with more info for you. Hope this helps.

I agree with Wurger. In the case of U.S. built aircraft, they were delivered in whatever colors the manufacturer was delivering to the various services. In service I don't believe there was any set national standard. I have seen pics of Curtiss Hawk IIs in 4 different schemes: OD fuselage and Yellow wings, overall OD, overall silver dope and OD upper surfaces with neutral gray undersurfaces. Of course the most famous during the war were the Curtiss 80A/P-40s of the Flying Tigers. These were taken from a British order so they were in standard RAF colors. So it really depends on what aircaft you are trying to model. Post the type you're planning on doing and We'll try to come up with more info for you. Hope this helps.

Thanks hawkeye, it interests me colour for Dewoitine D.510, colour looks much like Hawk II/III paint.

OK. Here you are a few profiles of Chinese D.510s I found via the net.

Attachments

• 10_1.jpg
    10_1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 259
  • 10_2.jpg
    10_2.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 278
  • 10_3.jpg
    10_3.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 243
  • 10_4.jpg
    10_4.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 269
Also I have found that the green colour was a Dark Olive Green. And it's equivalent can be ANA 612 Medium Green FS34092. However if you look at these samples the ANA paint seems to be a little bit greenish and darker than the CAF one. So I have checked other sites and found that the proper colour can be a mix of the Compucolor CA3 medium green ANA612 and few drops of white and lesser drops of yellow. It appeared that these D.510 planes wore a camo scheme with mottling. For that it can be used the olive drab paint mixed with a few drops of black. Undersides were silver painted.

Attachments

• Chinese dark olive green.jpg
    Chinese dark olive green.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 1,540
  • Chinese dark olive green1.jpg
    Chinese dark olive green1.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 302
  • FS34092.jpg
    FS34092.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 323
And I have found the picture via the Internet showing these D.510s. Looking at the image I got an impression that the mottling wasn't of any green paint. It looks like the Dark Olive Green was applied as the mottling at an overall silver painted aircraft.

Attachments

• D510 chinese1.jpg
    D510 chinese1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 2,603
Last edited:
Thanks Wurger:thumbleft:.

Not bad Grampa, just, green on that profiles is too olive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back