Color of Lt. Cdr. Mitsuo Fuchida B5N2 Kate Perl Harbor (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dirkpitt289

Master Sergeant
Jul 16, 2009
South Plainfield New Jersey
As silly as this may sound I'm not sure of the color of this aircraft. Is it the light gray we are use to seeing Japanese aircraft minus the black/ blue nose or is it NMF?

5489733721_cbc1cc16b4.jpg

This is the aircraft Flown by 1st wave Air Strike Leader Lt. Cdr. Mitsuo Fuchida, commander-in-chief/coordinator of all IJNAF formations deployed at Pearl Harbour on Dec. 7th, 1941. Fuchida was the pilot who radioed back the historical code message "Tora, tora, tora!" to let Vice Admiral Nagumo know total surprise had been achieved at Pearl.

Dirk, Fuchida's aircraft was as you posted before Pearl harbour during the Training phase, Dark green was applied to the upper surfaces of Fuchida's Kate sometime in late October or early November. reports are that Akagi's Kates were painted overall in grey-green then over painted on the upper surfaces in dark green... it is possible that fuchida's aircraft retained the natural metal lower surfaces as some still think, depends on interpretation of the photo from April 42.

Thanks guys. I assume then that the tail would have the number 301 0n it also?

In addition what color would the prop and spinner be? Would it be the brown like I see on other Japanese aircraft?

Last edited:
The plane wasn't equipped with a spinner as we speak. Most modellers make it with a silver prop blades and a cap for the prop mount. There are two narrow red strips on each of prop blades. Here is a nice rendering of the plane by Manuel Prego.

B5N2

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back