Fw 190 A6 1/JG 54 Nowotny

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

usetherudders

Airman
Nov 2, 2011
Cardiff
This is going to be my next project using the ancient Fujimi kit and decals from the Italeri FW190 Aces kit.

FW190 A6 Nowotny.jpg

Fuselage is 82/83 but the instructions call 74/75 for the wings which doesn't seem right. Tried looking for an overview but can't find anything.

Is this the correct call out for this machine?

Thanks in advance.

I don't think the RLM82/83 colours at tops are correct. Other sources say JG54 Wurgers were repainted with two-tone green camo scheme. The A-6 ( or A-5 judging by the werk nummer ) had the fin and rudder in the original 74/75/76 scheme, with the rest of the airplane overpainted in a freehand camouflage pattern of RLM 70 Schwartzgrun and RLM 71 Dunkelgrun, over RLM 76 Hellblau with yellow theater markings around the rear fuselage, under the cowl and under the wing tips.

1-Fw-190A5-I.JG54-((-Nowotny-Orel-Russia-1943-01.jpg

0-Fw-190A5-I.JG54-((+-Walter-Nowotny-Orel-Russia-1943-0A.jpg

fw190a6_2.jpg

Last edited:
Just found some nice colour photos of a Flugwerk FW190 A8/N painted in this scheme. A/C from the look of this is 70/71/76 main with 74/75.

Thanks for the pointers Wurger

Yep... it works. Thank you. But be careful of the one. It is just a contemporary replic. I have to check one more reference.

Yep, would agree with Wojtek. Restorations and replicas always have a certain degree of artistic license.

Barbas calls this one up as follows, though he's been thought to be wrong sometimes:

"Over its original gray camouflage, the fuselage and upper wing surfaces had been completely repainted in two new colours, a medium green, (thought to have been about FS 34138 ) around the cockpit section and an olive green (approximately FS 34096) elsewhere, possibly the first experimental use of the colours 82 and 83. The tail section, however, was not recamouflaged. The lower part of the rudder, the fuselage band, the lower wingtips, and the lower cowl were yellow. Within the dual chevrons was a small white number 8. Also on each side of the cockpit was a tiny white 13 which had formerly been surrounded by a green heart. The spinner was black with a thin white spiral. The outer wing guns had been removed."

Source: Aircraft of the Luftwaffe Aces II by Bernd Barbas.

There are few more photos of this rig in this book but nothing that would reveal colours definitively. Can confirm though that there were no outer guns (not like the first profile above whihc aslo does not have the lower cowl in yellow.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back