I seek emblems of the Spitfire Mk IX of the RAAF

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

destrozas

Senior Master Sergeant
Jan 12, 2010
I seek emblems of the Spitfire Mk IX of the RAAF

as you know I Gusy ta me the decals for my planes and I want to make a spitfire MKix of italery, but I have the decals for the RAAF and I guatria hacerselas power to do so I've seen some models on the forum but I have liked almost all are photos and my request is if you can put me emblems, and other artnose just placing decals to make something that can work for printing and decals do not have to IR color pocopor I searched the net but truth be watching this forum you have more information about it on the net ...
I hope not to bother with this request.

Are you after a collection of different markings to print off together on one sheet, or just specific ones? (and to what scale?)

(By the way, as far as I know the RAAF only used the MK.Vc and Mk.VIIIc Spitfires, not the Mk.IX)

only if the RAAF after the MK VIII used the p-51, but as I have been reading the external differences between the MKVIII and MK IX were minimal, nearly all were motor and gear for weapons, so it would be easy to convert a MKIX in MK VIII, I have found several blue prints of both aircraft and there is little diferncia unless the sources are not entirely reliable wrong but hey they were exposed to one of them is the page Pacifics Spitfires

but as I have been reading the external differences between the MKVIII and MK IX were minimal, nearly all were motor and gear for weapons, so it would be easy to convert a MKIX in MK VIII

Hi Destrozas, there were quite a few differences between Mk.VIIIs and Mk.IXs, probably the most obvious being the VIII has a retractable tailwheel. The IX was essentially a Spit V with the two speed/two stage supercharged Merlin that was fitted to the VIII and it appeared first in the time line scheme of things to counter the Fw 190 threat. The VIII was to be the next major production variant and differed from the V in that it had the pointed rudder, more poweful engine, retractable tailwheel etc. Because the IX was such a success it was put into mass production and many Vs were converted to IXs on the production lines. Later IXs had the pointed rudder, but the airframe was essentially the same as a V.

The centre fuselage section from the firewall (Frame 5) to the tail section (Frame 19) from the Spit V was the same in every mark of Spit to follow; the cut down rear fuselage notwithstanding. The other thing was that there were a number of different marks of IXs, particularly with regards to the armament installations in the wings, so do some looking about on the net for detailed photos if you are doing a conversion.

Under what was known as the Riverdale Agreement, Commonwealth nations were allocated squadrons in the RAF, these were known as Article XV squadrons and although these often had the prefix of whatever air force established the squadron, such as Australia, Canada or New Zealand, they were RAF units. The Aussie Spitfire Article XV RAF squadrons were Nos 450, 452, 453 and 457 Sqns and these squadrons operated VIIIs and IXs at different times. When operating in Europe and North Africa, these unit's Spits were painted in RAF colours, but a few of these units also saw service alongside RAAF units in the Far East and wore RAAF markings.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck with your modelling. :)

Under what was known as the Riverdale Agreement, Commonwealth nations were allocated squadrons in the RAF, these were known as Article XV squadrons and although these often had the prefix of whatever air force established the squadron, such as Australia, Canada or New Zealand, they were RAF units.
On that you are very wrong , it was the dream of the RAF to control these Squadrons . The RCAF Squadrons were paid for administered and operated as Canadian units despite the actions of the RAF. Article XV Squadrons was a fight to get as the Brits wanted gradutes of the BCATP or EATS as others called it to flow into units made up of all nationalities . Canada did not want this as memories of the WW1 were still vivid and wanted all RCAF squadrons under Canadian control and command . I'm doing this from memory of a book I recently had from the Library, I will re borrow the book if necessary. 6 Group should be your first hint and please note how all the RCAF fighter squadrons and recce squadrons were in the same wings not mixed with RAF or other units. The exceptions being Coastal Command and I believe 405 Sqn in 8 group Pathfinders . Early in WW2 to ease Canadian concerns 242 sqn was assembled as a feel good story using Canadians that were in the RAF .
To best indicate how the RCAF/Government felt about the RAF post VE day is how the RCAF Tiger Force wanted to and came very close to associating itself to the USAAF and not the RAF

Last edited:
On that you are very wrong

You know that regardless of how you or the Canadians felt at the time, those Article XV squadrons were formed as RAF units, with RAF aircraft at RAF bases and with RAF personnel, not just Canadians. How they chose to go afterwards for whatever reason is outside of the scope of this thread and as far as I'm concerned irrelevant to this discussion. Sure, the Canadians wanted autonomy but the New Zealanders didn't and the Aussie units in Europe, what my post is about, were RAF units.

So, no, I'm not wrong.

Last edited:
You know that regardless of how you or the Canadians felt at the time, those Article XV squadrons were formed as RAF units, with RAF aircraft at RAF bases and with RAF personnel, not just Canadians. How they chose to go afterwards for whatever reason is outside of the scope of this thread and as far as I'm concerned irrelevant to this discussion. Sure, the Canadians wanted autonomy but the New Zealanders didn't and the Aussie units in Europe, what my post is about, were RAF units.

So, no, I'm not wrong.
Why do you think they made article XV squadrons and just didn't tuck every one in the various RAF sqns , you brought up article XV I didn't . Maybe the Kiwis were happy with the staus quo , I'don't believe the Aussies were nor were the Canadians happy hence article XV sqns.

you brought up article XV I didn't.

So, why try and tell me I'm wrong, when I have plainly demonstrated to you that I'm right? Whether the Canadians or the Australians liked serving in the RAF is irrelevant to this thread. My post was to advise Destrosas that Australians flew Spitfire Mk.IXs in Article XV sqns.

Enough now.

good thing that interested me spit eg cr-r of the Black Panthers, the fw-r with the insignia and the art nose, it is interesting social political issue implidcadas nations, here in my country by dictatorship hardly news was beyond France little more.
but again that would be another matter and not what I was looking

nuuumannn thanks guy, if anything it helps you mention your forum and peers

the variation according to the plans that I could get the ailerons were almost identical between the models, the profile of the tail as nuumannn comments were somewhat flatter on the bottom, and the fixed wheel, I've been looking at pictures of the Russian VIII spit were identical to the Australian ICM model has a 1 / 48 (my next acquisition on the way) which brings the 2 models IX and VIII to 1 / 48 and what is in the case of two identical planes, virtually identical cambiaos millimeters variations inthe wings and antenna mast little more.
I'm wrong but this is very normal to not be an expert

Hey Destrozas,

good thing that interested me spit eg cr-r of the Black Panthers, the fw-r with the insignia and the art nose

Do you mean CR-C perhaps? If so, this was the personal aircraft of Grp Capt Clive Caldwell, a Spitfire LF.VIII. The Black Panthers was actually an RAF unit; 152 Sqn with 'UM' squadron codes wearing South East Asia Command roundels that were dark blue on the outside and light blue in the middle, whereas the RAAF ones were white in the middle. As for FW-R, do you mean FU-R? FU squadron code was worn by Spitfire IXs of 453 Sqn, which was an Aussie unit of the RAF.

Take a look here, is this the codes you mean?

Spit TB863.jpg

As for the details, if you have a particular aircraft you are building, you can research the details of that model of Spitfire.

this is very normal to not be an expert

Hey, I'm no expert either, I get it wrong all the time; I just happen to like planes!

Good luck with your model building. :D

THE ICM kits for the MkIX and MkVIII are basically the same kit. There are instructions included on how to alter the ailerons (shorter on the MkVIII compared to the MkIX), and parts are included to build the various versions. Beware though that, although the MkVIII kit has the tail wheel doors, the hole needs to be cut for the wheel bay, and the tail wheel provided is for the fixed version of the MkIX, not the retractable version of the MkVIII.
Here is a pic of the MkVIII I built for relatives of Bob Cross, from the ICM kit, serving with 136 Sqn, RAF, in Burma and India, and displaying the small SEAC roundels mentioned by Nuuumann.
The ICM kit is excellent, but a little tricky in parts, and needs some attention to some small parts, such as the windscreen top, horizontal frames.

Attachments

• Bob Cross build 319.jpg
    Bob Cross build 319.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 152
the decision to take the icm model against the model of Hasegawa was the price I leave it to € 15 as at home, a store that is closed and is almost giving away their remaining models is one of the oldest shops retirement of Spain that the owner has closed all a shame.
I read online that is a good model and most models of icm has some work but I being too complicated models such as emergency or other similar brands that I have more problems than usual and everything will look .
Internet also looking MKVIII saw images of a model that had as fw-r brands to ask why, the cr-r by spitfire Pacifics page I have almost all brands of equipment including tuition A58-484, also found a sheet Aero Imageworks decal which has 11 different license plates MKVIII Spitfires of the RAAF.
now is to get in touch with the company that has white ink for Epson, I will not respond to emails ..... another injured.

Thanks very much N. The whole build, plus the research, and the story of Bob Cross and 136 Sqn, can be seen in the Group Builds threads. There were also another two further models, of his Hurricane MkIIC, and Spit MkVC, somewhere in the modelling section.
Destrozas, the only printer system I know of which has white ink, is the ALPS printer system, using ink tapes - fairly expensive for the printer, and the tapes!
Normal ink-jet or laser printers, can NOT print white.
However, search the various on-line outlets, such as Hannants, in the UK, as there are probably various decal sheets to cover your needs. If not, then mask and paint!

Airframe according to this page here:

parkes682decals

this forum at this link:

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/questions-kits-decals-tools-pilots/need-white-decal-30878.html

explained using a special ink that prints on the epson white on the front page puts the contact email but do not respond by a penalty.
leaves the issue of virgin white decal is complicated because I have tried are thick and the rim is always white and have to paint is almost easier and white paint directly place the decal color on top to make the insignias.

Last edited:
if you get information you could pass me they do not respond to my emails I'd appreciate it.

I'll try, and i'll ask a friend in the computer business also. I'm interested in how the density holds up on clear decal film, as normal inkjet can sometimes be rather thin, causing lack of colour density.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back