JG2's use of 'Braun' for markings during 1940. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

clinton78

Airman 1st Class
Nov 13, 2009
Guy's, what are your thoughts on whether JG2 used RLM26 'Braun' instead of Yellow for the 3, 6, 9 Staffel/Gruppe markings/numerals during 1940. :)

I've had a quick look through my references, and so far, no evidence of 'brown' replacing yellow numerals, although this colour was seen by late 1940, if perhaps rarely. However, I think I spotted a reference, on one of the crash reports in the new book we've both just got (Luftwaffe Crash Archive, Vol 1) to a 'brown' numeral, but I haven't yet closely studied every entry, and therefore, at this stage, don't know which JG was involved.

Yes, that's what I thought, and even then it was late 1940 at the very earliest I think, without checking further, with yellow still being used into 1941/42 at least.
Certainly by 1944 JG26 FW190s were using brown numerals.

Thank s guys. Any chance of a source for these JG26 'Braun' photos published by Mombeek? Are these black and white photos. What has made Mombeek think that these numerals are actually 'Braun'. Period documents specifying 'Braun' markings? :)

Luftwaffe Colours Volume 1 Section 4 pp296,297. The profile is depicted on the cover and I found one of the pages offered on the net:

$T2eC16N,!)8E9s4l6bd4BQBOihKfYw~~60_12.JPG
JAGDWAFFE_1_4A.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back