JG53 109 markings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

smithart101

Airman
Apr 16, 2009
Englandshire
Could anyone confirm these markings are an acceptable guess for Rolf Pingels Bf109E while he was Staffelkapitan with II/JG53 in August 1940? This is a follow on to a post I made re his encounter with Bob Doe on the aviation section of this forum.
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/pingel-shot-down-into-channel-twice-31406.html

Bob Doe and Pingel (2) - Copy - Copy.jpg
B Doe detail (1)revised.jpg

Any input greatly appreciated!Thanks

Simon

from an interview with Bob Doe in 2006: '

I just didn't have it in me to kill him. I probably should have because he was rescued by an E-boat and came back and killed more of our boys."

The Luftwaffe pilot was German Ace Hauptmann Rolf Pingel. He survived the war. After his death in the 1970's, some thirty years removed from the event depicted in the painting (Geoff Nutkins painting), Frau Pingel wrote a letter to Bob Doe thanking him for his act of chivalry in letting her husband live.'

By mid to late August, tactical recognition markings were being introduced, the early form being on the wing tips and part, or all of the rudder. It may be that Pingel's aircraft had white wing tips and a white rudder, similar to the aircraft flown by Meyerweissflog of Stab. JG53, on Sept 3rd 1940.

from an interview with Bob Doe in 2006: '

I just didn't have it in me to kill him. I probably should have because he was rescued by an E-boat and came back and killed more of our boys."

The Luftwaffe pilot was German Ace Hauptmann Rolf Pingel. He survived the war. After his death in the 1970's, some thirty years removed from the event depicted in the painting (Geoff Nutkins painting), Frau Pingel wrote a letter to Bob Doe thanking him for his act of chivalry in letting her husband live.'

That may well be so - but that's no evidence at all, merely one person's recollection of an event. Without some kind of hard proof that this scenario actually occured all you have is an anecdote. You should get in touch with Andy Saunders who was in contact with Pingel himself before his demise to see if Pingel said anything about it to him.

By mid to late August, tactical recognition markings were being introduced, the early form being on the wing tips and part, or all of the rudder. It may be that Pingel's aircraft had white wing tips and a white rudder, similar to the aircraft flown by Meyerweissflog of Stab. JG53, on Sept 3rd 1940.

You might be right Terry. Also the camo scheme could be a little bit different as the JG used non standard ones for many Emils.

That may well be so - but that's no evidence at all, merely one person's recollection of an event. Without some kind of hard proof that this scenario actually occured all you have is an anecdote. You should get in touch with Andy Saunders who was in contact with Pingel himself before his demise to see if Pingel said anything about it to him.

thank you. How could he be contacted?

Doing some further reading......in JG53 Vol.1...Pingel was in fact Acting Kommandeur of I/JG53 for a period during early - Mid Aug. 1940 claiming victories 8 and 9 on the 15th and his 10th on the 18th, no mention of him being shot down at all!
then "On the 21st Aug Hptm. Pingel handed over his 2 Staffel to Oblt Prestele and left to assume command of I/JG26. doesn't mention why or for just how long he was Acting Kdr.

Possible he could have had Chevron/Triangle marking rather than Staffel number??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back