Luftwaffe Aircraft Camouflage and Markings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi Guys
I've just dropped a message on to the modeling section asking for the stuff I've just found here.
Thanks again.
Dragonsinger:D

Hi
Guys can any one help me find the color chart (chips) by Jerry Crandall from eadge. He was selling the chart of the Luftwaffe colors. I emailed them and he told me it was sold out and was no longer available. Does anyone know of another source. I have the M&M chart but I would like a more complete chart. Thanks

Louie

ther is a fuselage emblem on a messerschmitd BF109 that i need a picture of that is of a skeleton 'riding a cicle' with one arm up in the air looks like its about to 'throw a bomb' or something.kind of like a witch riding a broomstk.I have a picture from a ww2 magazine that shows it but very blurryand no info about the squadron.can anyone give a history on that particular emblem.and a clear photo /and or drwing or decal etc.I've looked through various Jagdschwader fuselage emblems to no avail.Thank you.

Maybe this will help, from the book Luftwaffe Emblems 1939-1945 by BarryKetley and Mark Rolfe

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 1,589
Yep, that's it.Here two shots of a little bit better quality.

Attachments

• 4JG77 emblem.jpg
    4JG77 emblem.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 1,392
  • 4JG77 emblem_.jpg
    4JG77 emblem_.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 1,265
Heres one taken off a BF109E-3Emil

Attachments

• airplane%20museum%2020080625%20Ev%20and%20Dad%20046.jpg
    airplane%20museum%2020080625%20Ev%20and%20Dad%20046.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,078
  • airplane%20museum%2020080625%20Ev%20and%20Dad%20045.jpg
    airplane%20museum%2020080625%20Ev%20and%20Dad%20045.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,120
I am looking for information on the history of the main emblem of the JG 3. I am referring to the red symbol inside a red shield outline, that seems to represent a bird in flight. Does anyone know who designed it, when it was adopted by JG 3, any other background on its' meaning and significance to the pilots of that unit? I have always thought it was a striking and dramatic emblem that conveyed a sense of esprit and wanted to know its' origins. Thanks.

Thanks for the links. I infer from the discussion that the shape of the symbol deliberately resembles the letter "U" in honor of Ernst Udet. The added wing and beak just give it the feel of a swift bird of prey, fitting for a fighter group. True or just my assumptions?

Hi, everyone.
Any extraoridinary Luftwaffe camo links for a Luftwaffe fan?

Thanks in advance

anyone out there interested in Leather patches of Luftwaffe unit emblems? I know they were not used as patches; but I can make them if interested,I have some references or can work via your photo etc.
Johnny Signor [email protected]

Hey, just curious if this link is still active? I am researching unit emblems for JG11. I have only uncovered a few, of those, some are a bit suspect. The ones I have are reported to be:

Stab/JG11 (Teutonic type warrior on white chevron facing left and recently no chevron with a green background)

2.I/JG11 (Black figure sitting on a US or UK flag)

3.I/JG11 (Round, yellow, with writing around a red heart with blunderbuss pistol on it)

Stab.II/JG11 (Same as Stab/JG11 except blue chevron?)

5.II/JG11 (I have seen Knoke's 109 from Apr-May '43 after 2./JG1 becomes 5.II/JG11, it still had the JG1 emblem, did the emblems travel with the staffels or were they changed? The image I have reported for 5.II/JG11 is A black figure with a white hat, clouds for feet, and carrying a sack with airplanes sticking out the top)

III/JG11 (Shield with red border and tiger's head)

Stab.III/JG11 (White/Black shield with a red dragon? on it)

I am curious if these are accurate and looking for anymore. I tried to find a copy of "Luftwaffe Emblems 1939-1945" to see if it has any, but can not get my hands on a copy. Hardly any links online dealing with unit emblems have much on JG11 or simply even work anymore.

Thanks

You might want to check out a series of books by Eric Mombeek called "Jagdwaffe: Luftwaffe Colours" that goes through the Luftwaffe during the war bit by bit - there are 4 books just on the BoB. While not specifically on JG 11, there are great profiles and tidbits about the different units during the war. You may have to search for the right books - maybe something along Defense of the West or Defense of the Reich. There is a whole series of these books and you have to check the titles for what may be appropriate.

I am currently making a skin for IL-2 of a Bf110. I was hoping that someone would have a sharp picture of this marking on the front of this aircraft just below the pilot. I have tried several sites and all the decals and pictures are to blurry to use. Any help is greatly appreciated.

27_77247_b675f661b707d86.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back