Luftwaffe Aircraft Camouflage and Markings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Depends on the aircraft and time period. They generally weren't based on a ratio. If you specify a particular aircraft, I may be able to be more specific but here are some common ones:

FW190 Upper lower wing 910mm, fuselage 800/810mm
Bf 109G Upper wing 1000mm, lower wing 950, fuselage 950

Variations also existed within these. Source: Luftwaffe Colours 1935-1945 by Ullmann.

Thank you Crimea, those are the figures that I am looking for. I'm trying to compile a list of all balkenkreuz sizes by aircraft. I picked up "Luftwaffe Camouflage of WW2" by Philpott but I don't see this type of information in it.
Does the book that you refered to contain a good listing of balkenkreuz sizes?

Hi everyone!

Now I'm working on Bf 109F-4/R6...
In the picture he is in the background - Black 1...
I can't find the color scheme...
:?:
Maybe somebody knows how exactly this aircraft was painted?
And please see work in progress picture in my Blog
:)
Denis Podgorniy

Attachments

• Bf 109F-4 R6-03.jpg
    Bf 109F-4 R6-03.jpg
    689.7 KB · Views: 742
G'day Guys,

Is the balkenkreuz on the tail fin of the 109 300mm??

cheers
pete

Denis, don`t know for sure but the colours are likely 74/75/76.

Pete, I think you`re refering to the Hakenkreuz (swastika)`and on the 109 it was 315mm according to Luftwaffe Colours by Ullmann . The Balkenkreuz is the cross on the fuselage which is much bigger than 300mm

Ah yes,

got my German mixed up!! lol thanx for the info, I have a Hakenkreuz (swastika) sheet that has both 300 and 540mm scale wasnt sure although with it sitting in front of me now the 540's certainly look to big.

btw, I've seen mention of Luftwaffe colours in a few places and have a copy coming my way!

thanx again
pete

No probs Pete. You should find the book handy, although the one I got had a faulty colour card that they said would be replaced if I mailed in a request - which I did, and they didn't.

Not too much indeed.Therefore the topic is a such interesting.Generally we could say there were LW painting rules. But there were as much camo schemes as planes in German service. :lol:

hello to all. i amtrying yo locate and verify the emblem for 1k./88. it appears to be a starburst with a swaztika within it. i found this in the ring/ries book but the picture is unclear. also i would like to know colors if possible. thanks to anyone.

I only know of 2 with the Swastika in them and it's not that one.. The only emblem I can find for the unit is from the Condor Legion, however it is nothing like what you are describing.

thanks to those that responded to my request. the unit emblem that i am looking for is 1K./88. the unit belonged to the condor legion. the reference where i found this is the ring/ries book on the condor legion. i'm still looking for the emblem.
the swastika in the photo is rounded. thanks again.

I think , Emblematic means the yellow-red comet with the black "sunwheel" swastika emblem of 1.K/88.

Attachments

• He 111B-1 1K88 Legion Condor 25-17.jpg
    He 111B-1 1K88 Legion Condor 25-17.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 575
thank you wurger, for your time and thought. i figured it out this morning after using a magnifying glass on the ring/ries book and putting it together with the laureau information. but thanks again for you time to look things up and to think about it and respond.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back