Luftwaffe Markings dimensions positions.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
I thought it might help if some of you had info about the size and positions of Luftwaffe markings on aircraft.
These were applied to a strict standard pattern, although there were exceptions of course. The sizes were, in general, proportional to the type of aircraft, i.e. bomber, fighter etc.
The attached diagram shows the basics, and if I can find them, I'll post diagrams for other types, such as Me109, JU88, Condor etc.
By the way, the dimensions are in milimetres.

Attachments

• MTO Build 130.jpg
    MTO Build 130.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 824
Last edited:
Cheers Terry, very helpful, I just checked out my 1/48 Monogram HE 111, no swastika decals. Going by the diagram, I need 13 - 14mm sq decals. :thumbleft:

I think you are right Wojtek. I was unsure which section to post in, so put it here for now. If you wish to move it, please do, thanks.

That sounds a good place Chris. Can you move my post there please?
I'll eventually get the whole 'at a glance idiot's guide' on Luftwaffe markings completed, and post it as a PDF. When I get around to finishing it that is........

I notice that a lot of WWII German airplane models are made (and then sold on eBay) without the "secondary" markings such as the red "walk lines" and other warnings and markings that were supposed to be on these planes according to Luftwaffe regulations. Was it common for these markings to be over-painted once the aircraft had its first camo scheme applied at the front lines?

Apparently the above happened with German armour in the field-they lost their secondary markings. If a machine were able to survive long-term in the field without being hit and destroyed and seasonal camo schemes were applied (such as on the Eastern Front) so the machine had to be hidden from enemy aircraft, armour and arty, then the warning stencils were often painted over and lost.

I am assuming the same thing happened with German aircraft, as with their armour, the secondary markings were not considered that important. After all, the same team of experienced and trained mechanics and armourers were servicing the aircrafts on a daily basis, so they knew where to walk, what to be cautious of, etc.

What happened if a panel on an aircraft was "holed" in combat and the panel was replaced? Possibly a panel off of a heavily damaged or destroyed donor aircraft was used and that aircraft may have had a slightly different paint scheme or color. Such a repair would put the aircraft back into action ASAP, though it may not be a beautiful looking plane.

What are your thoughts on the ideas that I presented here? Also who has a copy of a more detailed decal placement sheet to share, that shows the proper placement of all the secondary stencils?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Original camouflage,stencils and national markings were factory applied and usually,though not always,standard on Luftwaffe aircraft even towards the end of the war. You will see earlier style swastikas on Me262s and similar anomalies sometimes. The modification of this camouflage was common place and this definitely went over and obscured stencils and other markings on many aircraft. Panels were often replaced with ones from donor aircraft as well as other components like rudders. These often had non-matching camouflage and sometimes were finished in completely different schemes. It was also not uncommon for completely unpainted panels to be used.
It's one of the reasons why good reference photographs or well researched profiles are so valuable to modellers.
Cheers
Steve

I agree withe the post above. But the main reason for not applying of these stencils and other additional "secondary" markings on modles, is that not all manufactures of kits add full decal sets for that. Decals that come with kits are basic very often. So no wonder you can't find them on the eBay models. Secondly who wants to work much harder for the same money. As a result you can buy a dud for looking at .

Hi all:

Here's the Bf 109G-1 secondary markings, just in case someone hasn't posted them elsewhere.

Regards,
James

Attachments

• 8-109G-1 Stencils.pdf
    41.8 MB · Views: 385

Users who are viewing this thread

Back