LW primer colors (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mark4032

Recruit
Dec 23, 2008
Does anyone in this group know what color the LW used as a primer?

To my perhaps faulty knowledge, they didn't realy use a primer like you would paint, say, a car before finish coating. I believe the camo colours were a single lacquer coat applied by spray straight onto the bare metal, forming the protective coat.

Corrosion protection for non-camouflaged areas like wheel wells were most often done in RLM 02 , a light gray/green colour, but exceptions exist for cockpits which were painted a darker gray, RLM 66 in early 1942.

The answer also depends on the time period you're considering. Toward the end of the war, aircraft started to be delivered with large areas, like undersides, unpainted.

Luftwaffe Camouflage and Markings 1933-1945 refers to a green tinged translucent 7102 Zinc Chromate Metal primer "which allowed the various metal skin textures to still show, giving the appearance of plain bare metal." but then later on refers to what sounds like what Andy is referring to. Regardless, it does not sound like anything like the Allies did.

From the Vultee Aircraft report on a Bf110-C.

Vulteeprimer.gif

As far as colour goes I go with Farbton 02.

Cheers
Steve

Bf110 evaluation report by Vultee> I thought of that report too! I saw a German made glider built in 1973 too having alkyd based primer in white which was painted directly over the steel tubing of the fuselage frames The primed frame was topcoated also with alkyd in light grey. We found the white primer however was not as durable as the other types of primers such as zinc chromate or red oxyde rust-proof. Also the fabric surfaces of the glider were finished in a similar way as mentioned in the report. In case of the latter the topcoat wasalkyd lemon yellow (Zitronengelb) painted over the white primer or paint which directly coated the all clear doped fabric, totally without alminium pigmented dope layers in between. The alkyd paint also was not as durable as the laquer or PE, caused clacked and chipped paint after just a few years in service. We had troubles to remove the topcoat layers mostly using sandpapers. Only if we could have the evaluation report for handling the repair on the German made aircraft at that time. Thanks for the posting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back