Made my decison...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

chriswchase

Airman
Jan 21, 2013
Anchorage, AK
My model kit comes with parts for the bf 110 C version and use the paint scheme that appears on the box top. That way I will be able to use the G9 IN markings...I will make the model with the bombs that came with the model...I would prefer to use the parts for the bf 110 D version but am unsure what nose art to use (unless any one knows if any D versions had the wasp). Also, not sure what numbers I can use for the unit disignation for the D model:

m8 fa

3u bt

u8 gl

ln kr

Thanks for all your help and I will keep posting progress and cant wait to post a pic of the finished model...

My model kit comes with parts for the bf 110 C version and use the paint scheme that appears on the box top. That way I will be able to use the G9 IN markings...I will make the model with the bombs that came with the model...I would prefer to use the parts for the bf 110 D version but am unsure what nose art to use (unless any one knows if any D versions had the wasp). Also, not sure what numbers I can use for the unit disignation for the D model:

m8 fa

3u bt

u8 gl

ln kr

Thanks for all your help and I will keep posting progress and cant wait to post a pic of the finished model...

The unit with the wasp was SKG/210 code letters S9 + --

1-1-Bf 110 SKG210-page-001.jpg
1-1-Bf 110 SKG210-page-002.jpg
1-CCF26012013_0000-page-002.jpg

The colour artwork (from Kagero Messerschmitt Bf 110 vol 1) shows E-2s but Bf 110C and D were also used by the units

M8 = ZG 76 3U = ZG 26 from 1941, U8= ZG 26 in 1940 LN = 1. (Z)/JG 77 an independent Zerstorer Staffel attached to JG 77 Finland and Norway 1941.

The code G9 was use by NJG 1 - a night fighter unit, so highly unlikely they'd be carrying bombs. The 'Wespe' nose art was used by SKG 210, code letters S9. This latter unit would have carried bombs at one stage. There are many references on the Bf110 available, which should clarify which version was which., and which units used them, and where and when.

There is a picture of a 110 D-3 marked 2N+MP in Vasco's "The Sting of the Luftwaffe" with the Wespe on the nose. 2N was the code on early wespe-marked aircraft but SKG 210's code was S9. SKG 210 became ZG 1 in January 1942 but continued with the S9+ identifier until the codes eventually reverted to 2N+ later on, by which time the 110 units were flying G models. The majority of the pics of 110s with the wespe on the nose carried the S9 code.

EagleCals and Aeromaster make Wespe decals and there are probably others. Also, if you get the Kagero books on the Bf 110, they come with decals that have some Wespe schemes.

Authentic4840b.jpg
Authentic4840a.jpg
Authentic4840h.jpg
Authentic4840d.jpg
Authentic4840c.jpg
I don't know if it is too late as I just found this thread, but in 1/48th Authentic Decals "Messerschmitt Bf.110D the 2N+MP is depicted. See my post on start to finish for the Cyber Hobby Bf-110D-3. I am useing that marking for mine as I wanted the Wespe markings. THe S9+CL is shown in "The Messerschitt Bf 110 in Color Profile- 1939-1945" As well as several C/E/ and G's.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back