ME163 Komet- size of swastika?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Alte Hase

Airman 1st Class
Sep 25, 2011
Hi all.

I'm considering building the 1:48 Me163 Komet by Dragon models. But the kit doesn't have swastikas included, so I'll have to source these elsewhere. I have a number of spare Bf109 and FW190 decals...so I'm wondering if anyone could tell me if any of the swastikas from these kits can be used on the ME163? Would the size of a Bf109 or FW190 swastika be appropriate for the size of the ME163 swastika?

Thanks!

As far as I know, there was no one set size and variations did exist. Regs said that the swastika had to be at least 1/4 the height of the tail fin. Ullmann has a table showing swastika dimensions commonly used on FW 190's at 480 or 540 mm square, for the 109 315mm sqaure and for the 262 430mm sqaure. No data on the Me 163.

If you can get a good profile of your particular aircraft and know the o/a length of the aircraft, you can scale the swastika by converting your profile's dimensions mathematically to 1/48 scale and gettign the swastika size that way.

I agree. There weren't dimensions clearly defined. The only way to find out about these , is like Andy suggested.

OK, I have looked a 4 Jagdwaffe profiles of Me 163's. Based on a 5.7m length and assuming the profiles are accurate (which they appear to be) then I scale 2 swastika sizes: 325mm and 265mm give or take. Those would be 6.8 and 5.5mm, respectively, in 1/48 scale.

I simple way is to cut squares out of post it notes(the top part with the sticky back) the sizes of the decals you have and stick them on the tail and pick the one that looks right.

It wouldnt help to look towards other fighters for style or scale as the markings were all put on in the different factories so size and placement and style did vary considerably.

Best to put as many komet photos together with their Werk numbers if possible (it could have changed per batch like other fighters) to get the best judgement on exactly what type, the size and where it needs to go.

Hi Guys,

Might these be of any help?

191907 s.jpg

191904 fin s.jpg

191659 Fin.jpg

191316 s.jpg

Note the different styles and positions of the swastika. I hope this is of use to you.

:)

These shots above present kites of post-war exibitions. I would suggest using those of WW2 B&W images. However the clourful shot looks very good and can be used too.

Me163-26.jpg

Messerschmitt+Me+163+B+taking+off.jpg

wh14-06.jpg

me-163_1.jpg

1640-520x348.jpg

kom1.jpg

kom2.jpg

Looks like according to nuuummmaannn's pics the swastika was fairly uniform when gauged against the rudder hinge. But Wurger's pics show different variantions.

I'm bad at math so based on the location with the hinge I would look for one thats comes close. Just my 2 cents! :)

Yep... as Andy and me maentioned it above there wasn't any rule stating the swastika dimensions and where it should be applied on the B series. Those on prototypes and A type of the plane seem to be more standardized.

Thanks for all your info guys-once again, I'm extremely grateful to you guys on here for your knowledgable input.

I'm going to the hobby shop this week, I'll see if they have a sheet of different sized swastikas, and use the methods you guys have suggested to determine the correct size!

I haven't bought the model yet...but I certainly will post pics once it's finally done!

Hi Guys, here's a page on markings of different Me 163s based on photographs from Rob de Bie's Me 163B pages. Worth looking at for great technical info on the Komet and lots of good images.

Me 163B camouflages

This is a pretty neat forum. I make my own decals, and right now I am making some swastikas for D-2600, a Junkers JU-52 that Hitler flew to Munich in. I usually "guesstimate" the size, but I see that you all get right down to the details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back