Paint scheme P-40 E Kittyhawk US ARMY (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

gijive

Airman 1st Class
Hi Guys and girls

Anyone got more info on this camo pattern I need top view and other side views for a modelling project.

Many thanks

Attachments

• kittyhawk P-40E US ARMY.jpg
    kittyhawk P-40E US ARMY.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 480
Same as the Hurricane and Spitfire of the period, 1940 to late 1941, in either 'A' or 'B' pattern. The scheme shown was painted in 'equivalent colours' for a British order, but the aircraft were diverted to U.S. commands.

Give me a day or so, and I'll post the side and top profile drawings for both. The 'equivalent colours' were supposed to be equivalent to (RAF) Dark Green and Dark Earth, with Sky undersurfaces. However, depending on which paints were used (eg Du Pont), these could be Olive Drab for the Green, Sea Grey for the Sky, and a colour that could be very close to Dark Earth, or more of a Sand tone.

Give me a day or so, and I'll post the side and top profile drawings for both. The 'equivalent colours' were supposed to be equivalent to (RAF) Dark Green and Dark Earth, with Sky undersurfaces. However, depending on which paints were used (eg Du Pont), these could be Olive Drab for the Green, Sea Grey for the Sky, and a colour that could be very close to Dark Earth, or more of a Sand tone.

That would be fantastic Airframes, just the job, I want to get it spot on.

Here you go. I only had the top plan views, but as you'll see, these obviously match up with the fuselage side patterns, and no doubt they will be familiar to you as standard Day Fighter Scheme patterns. It doesn't apply to the P40, but the A/B patterns were used with RAF fighters with odd and even serial numbers.

Attachments

• Buys 125.jpg
    Buys 125.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 313
Thaks both, Now I have found a Hasegawa colour guide which is spot on for the sides so one would asume th etop view is also good. Dark colour represents the sand and light colour the green on the photos above.

Attachments

• kittyhawk-camo-pattern.jpg
    kittyhawk-camo-pattern.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 833
Bought myself two new books this week, P-40 Curtiss from 1939 to 1945 and Aircam No7, in the hope that one of the above planes would be illustrated, sadly not, it seems this camo scheme and era of the USAAC is sadly forgotten in most texts about P-40's They all have the plan Olive Drab on grey AAc planes but not these. The top plan for the P-40 E in the P-40 1939-1945 book is a totally differant scheme for Texas Longhorn.

Now compare the artwork with the original photos, left wing in the parked up photo apears to have more green along leading edge, so too the last flying in B&W. Rright wing on B&W is differant to the artwork. I guess when you are knocking out a lot of planes you don't care if your rubber mat is out of place when painting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back