Please help me identify tail markings on my grandfather's hellcat (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

cmbailey21

Recruit
Feb 8, 2009
Texas
Hello,
I have this favorite photo of my grandfather standing next to an airplane he barely managed to return to his ship. All I ever knew about it was that it was taken aboard the USS Langley. Two days ago my fiancee came across the very same photo of him in the book "Clear the Decks" by Cory Graff. I've always been so curious about my grandfather's military career, so I have renewed my interest in researching. I would appreciate anything you can tell me about the tail markings on the plane. I'm including the original photo and a scan from the book. Thanks again! --Cassondra Bailey

Attachments

• grandpa.jpg
    grandpa.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 278
  • grandpa2.jpg
    grandpa2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 201
The kind of markings was intrioduced on 27th Jan 1945 and indicates a Hellcat which belonged to USS Langley aircraft carrier air group.Other aircraft carrier air groups had different markings.If you look around the forum you will find much info on it.The white 33 number is an individual machine number I think.

Dear Cassondra- I have been researching the Langley for several years. I've collected several hundred images of the Langley from various private photo albums. One of the pictures was the one of your grandad. I may have others as well. I'll check. My father was an Avenger pilot in Carrier Air Group 32, the first on the Langley from August 1943 to October 1944. I'd be happy to guide you through the research process to learn more about CAG 23. Chris Marks Gales Ferry CT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back