RAF Walrus Mto

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Guy Gibson

Recruit
Nov 13, 2009
Hi everyone can anyone help with the markings for a Supermarine Walrus around 1943 in the Mediterraenian thearte of operations? May thanks:D

The only data I can find for non-ship based Warus' are Squadrons 283, 284, 292 294 based in the Middle East. Sq 624 was based in Italy for mine-spotting duties but that was in 44. No luck finding specific markings, but will keep looking.

Last edited:
From what I remember reading some time ago, the RAF Walrus squadrons in the Med moved around, sharing duties and aircarft. Although theoretically there were two or three squadrons, the numbers of aircraft actually available were spread around on rescue duties, and (possibly) were only the equivalent of around one squadron in total. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of pictures or markings info, but I think I might have something somewhere. It might take me some time to find it though!

Dear All,
Thank you for all your help, and your welcome to the forum. I will be continuing to research this and I am basing the markings on 284 squadron.
Just to fill you in I do a little modelling but Ido airial wardames in 1/600th scale. So I will hopefully be on quite a bit.

Guy8)

Hi Guy. I found some pics and profiles in the Mushroom book on the Walrus and Stranraer. There's also a profile of a US Walrus in the Med. Unfortunately, the only way I can post anthing from it is by printing the page and scanning it, from the PDF book, as I'm unable to just 'save' a single page. Problem is, my colour cartridge in the printer has just run out! If this is of interest, and you can't get the Mushroom publication, let me know and I'll print, scan and post when i get a new cartridge.
Cheers,
Terry.

Is that this one Terry?

Attachments

• Warlus MkI USA.jpg
    Warlus MkI USA.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 559
  • Warlus1 USA.zip
    108.2 KB · Views: 92
That's the one Wojtek! There was another one too, in RAF markings, which I believe was in the Med. I think the caption stated that the colour scheme/markings was thought to be as illustrated.

Sorry, I was wrong. The other profiles cover RN Walrus, and those serving on the Channel front and the PTO.
All I've been able to find are serial and code detail examples for 283 and 284 Squadrons, operating Walrus IIs.
283 Sqn, moving around between Maison Blanche (May 43), Tingley (May 13, 1943 to May 30, 1943), La Sebala until 28 August '43, then Ajacio, Borgo and Hal Far, the latter on 6 April '43. Walrus 1 and II, example X9498, coded 'B'.
284 Sqn. Algiers, June 1943, then moves to Hal Far,, Cassibile, Lentini East, Scanzano, Gioia del Colle, Brindisi, Alghero, Ramatuelle, Bone, the latter on 15 Sept 1944. Walrus II, example W3012, coded 'W'.
Colour schemes are thought to be the standard Temperate Scheme, with serial numbers in 8 inch black characters, and Dull Red code letters, probably 24 inches high.
Hope this helps a bit.

Thank you all for your help on this subject it has been very useful. I am basing my Walrus's on 284 squadron.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back