Red undercarriage legs on BF109G-10s? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

von hahn

Airman 1st Class
Aug 2, 2008
JNB
Hi all,

While researching a colour scheme for my latest project ( a BF109G-10 of 2./JG300, red 2 "Rita"), I noticed that quite a few 109G-10s had RED undercarriage legs. Does anybody know why the Luftwaffe did this?

Thanks in advance!

Some sources say that it was done to indicate machines with the DB/AS engine.As memory serves the Bf109G-10/AS wasn't in usagso it is possible that the maintenance team used the red because of the lack of RLM02 for instance. Or the Bf was G-14/AS but not G-10

This was done so that ground crew could identify at a distance aircraft that required higher octane (C3) fuel as opposed to standard (B4) fuel. It IS related to the engine installed, but many engines required C3 fuel.

- Ivan.

Wouldn't it have been easier to stencil DB/AS on each cowling cover? It would have addressed any paint shortages too.

Taking Ivan1GFP's info into consideration as well.These red landing gear legs were better seen than any stencils what means the machines with the AS engines could be easier found for refueling.

Taking Ivan1GFP's info into consideration as well.These red landing gear legs were better seen than any stencils what means the machines with the AS engines could be easier found for refueling.
That's fair enough
but even painting a disc, diamond or other on the cowling must have been simpler, less demanding on resources and just as effective.
A modern example, the NATO socket on landrovers is, if I recall, approx 3 inches (8 cms) in diameter - not exactly massive. But from a significant distance you can tell if it's a 12V landrover (socket cap painted yellow) or a 24V landrover (socket cap painted blue).

Personally, I think they painted the legs red so they could hide them in trees and pretend they were sparrows. :)

Thanks for the feedback! Just to throw another idea out there...was the red undercarrige no possibly an indication that the aircraft was equipped with the MW50 boost?

6.jg27_g6as.jpg

This shows a lineup of G-6/AS aircraft of II./JG27 at Fels am Wagram in August 1944. According to the Prien/Rodeike 109F-G-K book, the nearest aircraft is W.Nr. 412807 "gelbe 2", shot down near St. Pölten on 23 August 1944 with the pilot Uffz. Zimmerman being killed. "Weiße 5" behind it may be W.Nr. 412918, shot down near Holzminden on 16 August with the wounded pilot Uffz. Salinger escaping by parachute. And of course, we note the red legs and wheels, indicating this is (or was...) likely a G-6/AS aircraft.

This shows a lineup of G-6/AS aircraft of II./JG27 at Fels am Wagram in August 1944. According to the Prien/Rodeike 109F-G-K book, the nearest aircraft is W.Nr. 412807 "gelbe 2", shot down near St. Pölten on 23 August 1944 with the pilot Uffz. Zimmerman being killed. "Weiße 5" behind it may be W.Nr. 412918, shot down near Holzminden on 16 August with the wounded pilot Uffz. Salinger escaping by parachute. And of course, we note the red legs and wheels, indicating this is (or was...) likely a G-6/AS aircraft.
Legs are barely discernible
wheel discs have a better visual impact though. How would that fare in long grass or fresh snow?

Ho hum - it obviously worked! :)

At any airfields grass has never been very longl.As far as the fresh snow is concerned any aircraft on wheels is not able to take off when the layer of snow is too high.That's way the snow on airfields was removed or packed on airstrips and taxiways , for example in Russia. And the MW50 instalation....for the reason almost all German a/c would have to have these legs red.

At any airfields grass has never been very long. As far as the fresh snow is concerned any aircraft on wheels is not able to take off when the layer of snow is too high
Ideally, no
but the RAF had to do it on occasion supporting the BEF so it's not inconceivable that the Luftwaffe had to do it once or twice themselves. Generally though, as regards long grass or snow, I was referring to when the planes have taxied off the main strip into areas that perhaps weren't so well cared for; this is after all where the ground crews are going to start seeking them out.
History has shown that 'red legs' is the method chosen by the Luftwaffe, I am simply suggesting that a recognition mark, smaller and higher up the aircraft would have served all purposes better.

Have you ever been to the military airfield ? I have been working at the airfield for sixteen years.A military airfield is not like a flying club one where the grass can be like a jungle. Ordnung must sein! :lol:

Concerning the method as you named thiat. Unfortunately it wasn't the rule these legs were red for all planes that were equipped with AS engine or MW50 installation.Therefore I'm much inclined to think it was an idea of men in black only.

Have you ever been to the military airfield?
I've been to several
but the RAF supporting the BEF didn't always have the luxury of a military airfield, the Luftwaffe being hounded out of their aerodromes by the 8th AF certainly didn't. They'd also be inclined to leave their new, rough airstrips as much to nature as possible for fear of attracting Allied attention from the air.

This is, of course, all academic; the Luftwaffe painted the legs of their aircraft red - that is how they got around the issue of right fuel to right aircraft.

I agree with you about the RAF that didn't have the luxury of a military airfied.But in that time all field airfields looked like fields of trefoil and most of them were these actually. Clover doesn't grow so long.
Concernng the stencils on the engine cowling, the kind of a fuel was painted on the fuselage below the fuel inlet.

This was done so that ground crew could identify at a distance aircraft that required higher octane (C3) fuel as opposed to standard (B4) fuel. It IS related to the engine installed, but many engines required C3 fuel.

- Ivan.

Exactly
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back