Smith's P47 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ikerus

Airman 1st Class
Sep 15, 2009
indianapolis, IN
I am trying to find more information and pictures of the P47 razorback belonging to Major Donavan Smith. The serial number is 41-6319, which belonged to the 61st and had HW M on the sides. It was "Hun Hunter" and if someone had a picture, outside of the one on Littlefriends.co.uk, of the art that would be fantastic. Smith's son is one of my flying buddies in the R/C hobby and this is his lesser known airplane.

Last edited:
Do you mean these pics..?

hv-m.jpg

hv-m3.jpg

Last edited:
Ah! I was a little confused with the code. I presume you mean Smith from the 56th Fighter Group, 8th Air Force?
I'll see what else I can find in my references.

Yes those where the pics I could find, I was trying to see if there are others.

Yes, from the 56th, as far as I known this is his lesser known aircraft, where his well known one is "Ole **** III"

Outside of a different picture of PJ (the mouse) there appears to be something on the cowl that is harder to make out, anyone have a clue as to what it is?

I have the feeling I've seen something on this aircraft, and possibly the name 'Dotty', although I haven't found it yet!

Note in the first of the photos in my post shows that "Ole ****" has the original cowling flaps. Subsequent photos show that the later cowling flaps were installed. This is fairly common if the a/c lasted that long. The screenshots are from DVD's from Sam Sox, Jr (author and archivist). This originally came from Lt. Anthony Carcione's camera. He was an avid photographer. The camera seemed to pass Fred Christiansen after Carcione was KIA in March 1944. Many screenshots from the DVD can be found on littlefriends.co.uk.

Facebook has two P-47 pages, also may want to try , ArmyAirForces.com under their "Units" page

Users who are viewing this thread

Back