Spitfire IX invasion stripes?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

AD2780

Recruit
Jan 8, 2011
Regarding the Spitfire IX found in Normandy in November 2010:

11 June 1944 F/L. H L. Smith 453 (RAAF) Squadron shot down by flak whilst flying Spitfire IX MJ789 'FU-B' and killed in a forced landing ...

Does anyone have any pics of this aircraft whilst it was operational?

I'm looking to see if it was painted with invasion stripes and what type of tail shape it had.

Thanks, AD2780

At that date, it would have had full AEAF stripes on fuselage, and upper/lower surfaces of wings. It was not until late july that the upper-surface stripes began to be removed.
Far as I can find out from the serial batch, it would have been fitted with the 'standard' rudder, not the the broad-chord, pointed rudder. I have found only one photo so far showing a group of this Sqn's Spits, on the ground, with full stripes, and they all have the standard rudder.
I think also by then that the increased mass-balance elevators would have been fitted, with the 'straight' leading edge outer hinge line.
Note that this Squadron painted their Squadron codes aft of the roundel on the port side, with the individual letter forward of the roundel.
Hope this helps a bit.

This one's from Wiki. Confirms smaller fin and increased mass balances.

Attachments

• 453_Sqn_(AWM_100821).jpg
    453_Sqn_(AWM_100821).jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 282
Thanks Andy, that's the pic I have, very small though, in the RAF/Commonwealth Squadrons book. It wouldn't have scanned and posted as well as that!
I've done a further search of my refs, and that's the only pic so far.

Thanks for the help so far guys. I've seen a few pics of other 453 Sqn Spits but none of FU-B.

On the topic of Spitfire markings - Does anyone know the lettering for Pat Hughes' Spitfire X4009 of 234 Sqn AZ-?

This one appears to be a real mystery???????

I know he sometimes flew AZ-D but that is not X4009.

Thanks again, AD2780

Haven't found anything on that one, and the aircraft's movement. taken I presume from the Form 78, don't show a code letter. But as you probably know, the individual letter could change, and a replacement aircraft could have the same letter etc. Also, most pilots would fly a number of different aircraft.
There's a possibility it might appear in the Squadron ORB, and / or his Log Book. The former is held at the National Archives, whilst the latter, if not donated to the RAFM or IWM, and not still with his family, could be anywhere !

And here another Spitfire Mk.IX of the 453 RAAF Squadron with the D-Day strips. Source unknown.

Attachments

• Spit mk9  453 RAAF sqn.jpg
    Spit mk9 453 RAAF sqn.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 544
More than likely !
A friend commented on the over-spray of white on the props of my PRU Mustang - didn't believe me that it was intentional, replicating the original !

I think the inaccuracy in applying these D-Day strips was quite common. Here you are "an excellent work" of the US maintenace team on P-47. Source unknown.

Attachments

• P47 dday1.jpg
    P47 dday1.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 228
  • P47 dday1a.jpg
    P47 dday1a.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 443
  • P47 dday1b.jpg
    P47 dday1b.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 201
There's even a worse one of a Canadian Spit. Will see if I can find it tonight.

EDIT: Here it is. 411 Squadron. I guess it's not much worse than that jug but certainly not better!

Attachments

• d-day-stripes-735613.jpg
    d-day-stripes-735613.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back