Stap Me! image?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

RAF_Loke

Airman
Feb 25, 2004
Bornholm
www.balbogallery.com
I know that I've seen a much better image of this "noseart" and believe it was an RAF one.

stapme.jpg

Can anyone help id it and provide a better image?

I haven't actually seen that one before, but could it have been from 'Baz' "Stap Me" Stapleton's aircraft? A BoB veteran he passed away only a few weeks ago.

From: Small Scale Military Headquarters :: View topic - HELP! info on 21C 1/18 spitfire "STAP ME" ??

"Just did a little quick research and came up with this from my files:

The NKK Spitfire represents a Spitfire Mk II of No.118 Squadron RAF, flown by P/O A.S.C. Lumsden in Ibsley around May 1941. This particular Spitfire was presented to the RAF by the people of the Borough of Lambeth (in London) through public subscription.

After the successful conclusion of the Battle of Britain the RAF Fighter Command formed a substantial number of new fighter squadrons to rebuild the losses and enable switching to offensive opeations. No 118 Sqn was one of the old RAF units reinstated at this period. It was formed at Filton on February 20 1941 within 10th Group, flying Spitfires Mk. I. After its first combat detachment at Pembrey, the unit re-equipped with Spitfire Mk. II and moved to Ibsley, between Bournmouth and Southampton (in southeastern England), flying defensive patrols over the south coast.

The nose art and "Stap me" phrase depict a popular comic strip character, Captain A.R.P. Reilly-Ffoull, squire of Arntwee Hall, from Bernard Graddon's comic strip Just Jake which was printed in the London Daily Mirror between 1938 and 1952."

THis also might help, Hannants sells this decal "On Target Decals Profile 4" Hannants - Model Alliance ML72114 1:72

Best of luck!

Decent chap, Lumsden. Had photos of both sides of his Spitfire. The name under the cockpit on both sides is BETTE.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 540
  • scan0001.pdf
    562.7 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
Interesting! One would have to see a clear photo of the Actual plane to Realy know what it looked like. The photos on the link look like a very badly registered decal. Even the text in the baloon seems to be off center and out of scale. The original post looks like a very nicely interpreted art piece. Does anyone have anything else? Some kind of a clear shot of the original? I will do a tracing, finished piece in Corel of both and post if it's art for a plane you are doing RAF. Yes?

N4521U. Not initially art for a plane.

I need it for a crest I'm making. In our group we have an Italian chap who has used the art in his avatar since he joined back in 1999. The same image I posted initially.
He is a good friend and I wanted to surprise him with a much better image of it in a crest.
They look like this....

lokecrestsmall.png

Extra bonus is that I make marking templates for skinners to use and that one would be a nice one to add.

Last edited:
Any chance of getting some more detail? Need something a little more defined to do better detail in art work. If this will help with what you want to do? Bill

Attachments

• stap me..jpg
    stap me..jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 210
It is coming along nicely Bill 8), and I know how hard it is to work with small images.

I'll show you what I've made tomorrow.

BTW, this was send to me by Kristorf who made the skin for Il-2.

Attachments

• CG-CS90449_06_lrg.gif
    CG-CS90449_06_lrg.gif
    52.9 KB · Views: 242
This is what I have so far. A little black face, oops. No offense meant. Just have to do the face details. On the right track?

Attachments

• stap me..jpg
    stap me..jpg
    13 KB · Views: 168

Users who are viewing this thread

Back