Unidentifed Luftwaffe piloten personal insignia, need help identifying (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SPEKTRE76

Airman 1st Class
Oct 13, 2012
Oak Harbor, WA
Okat so I found this photo here: FalkeEins - the Luftwaffe blog: 1. Staffel JG2 "Richthofen" French campaign, Battle of Britain (ace Werner Machold) (second photo down).

So I know he was 'White 9' and from 1/JG1. So, here's waht I got.

Special thanks to 'Sidney' for indefying the name of the dog for me.

'Bonzo' and the 'Riding Crop'

I need to know who the 'Ridding Crop' belonged too as a personal emblem?

Most of this is 'pen tool' on the dog but I used the 'pencil tool' for the imperfections. And I guessed on the colors.

JG2.png

Last edited:
Hey thanks man. I neede to know who the riding crop belonged too though. I fixed my post, LOL.

I hope somebody here knows. My assumption due to a Facebook post on the JG2 Richthofen page is that it may be:

JG 2 Oblt. Reifferscheidt Hermann, POW, Staffelkapitän, 1 Staffel / JG.2 "White 9

Spektre, as per our discussion on the subject, this variant of the Bonzo dog emblem appeared much later in the war, it is believed that it was applied on the various sub-types of the Bf 109 G (i.e., G3, G4...) aircraft between winter 1942-43 and September 1943 and belonged to 11./JG 2 (2nd formation), and perhaps was even retained after the Staffel was renamed 4./JG 2 (2nd formation) in September 1943. The attached close-up can be found in Karl Ries' book Photo Collection; Luftwaffe Embleme 1935-1945, page 65. Otherwise, you have restored these emblems nicely.

Ahhhh mistake number one on my part and number two by forgeting the pimple on Bonzo's nose, LOL.. I'll have to find the correct 1/JG1 emblem form 1940 so I can complete this mans plane. I'm really curious to know if I have identified 'him' correctly. The personal insignia of the riding crop's pilot is just a guess at the moment.

That pimple on the creature's, actually the English Bulldog, in my opinion is an important part of the motif interpretation exercise - it shows that the dog was either beaten or stung, and that it is not actually just running, but in fact running away from its pursuers. For your ready reference I herewith attach a jpeg copy of the 1./JG 2 emblem from 1940 (reference: an expired eBay auction from 5 October 2012).

Attachments

• jg2-01-051012.jpg
    jg2-01-051012.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 225
Hey thank you Sidney do you mind if I use this picture to recreate my own emblem of Bonzo?

Interesting, It may be this man. I recreated the '9' directly off a photo but not every artist paints the same or he could be yellow '9'?

Here is the '9' I used

Bf_109_E_JG_2_9%u00252B_Emblem.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Spektre, you are welcome. The photo is taken directly from eBay, so, from my side there can be no objection for you to use the photo and restore the Bonzo dog emblem at your own convenience. I would be interested to see the end result of your effort.

Just a note to correct my posts No.7 and 11 above. Although the close up of the 1./JG 2 Bonzo dog emblem was part of the former I believe Luftwaffe ground crew member photo album that was on offer at one of the expired eBay auctions (and sold for I think more than EUR 500), the said close up was downloaded from the LEMB eBay daily listing of 5 October 2012. These eBay listings are uploaded on the LEMB by its proprietor, Peter D. Evans, on almost daily basis, and are invaluable resource for the Luftwaffe enthusiasts and researchers alike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back