United States Aircraft Markings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

These tiles are hand made for housing or architecture and are an example of a few different tonolities of the coral brown colour I think.That's way I decided to upload the pice though this shot has nothing in common with aviation rather.It's simply an example. Here you are a pic of the P-40E I found as well.

Attachments

• Landers_P-40E_Texas_Longhorn_1.jpg
    Landers_P-40E_Texas_Longhorn_1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 853
Last edited:
The great suff Paul. :thumbright: But could you tell me which profile of the last two was issued earlier? I mean the time when both appeared. I'm sure you have noticed that in the last one the coral brown looks like the sand colour.The difference might have been caused by technique of the colour-print.

Last edited:
thanks guys, the color blind person sees, brown on the first one, red on the second and yellow on the third...lol. Is this a color I can buy or do I have to mix it?

DBII

The great suff Paul. :thumbright: But could you tell me which profile of the last two was issued earlier? I mean the time when both appeared. I'm sure you have noticed that in the last one the coral brown looks like the sand colour.The difference might have been caused by technique of the colour-print.

Thanks Wojtek, the first one is from the book the P-40 Curtis from 1939-1945 by historie and collections published in 2002. The second one is from the book 49th fighter group by squadron signal published in 1989.

Hope it helps, sorry DBII, Im color blind also on the colors

Thanks Paul for the info.So the later issued profile ( the first one you sent) can be much more correct with these colours I think.

Also I think if DBII mix all of these colours he will get the correct one.:lol:

Thanks Paul for the info.So the later issued profile ( the first one you sent) can be much more correct with these colours I think.

Its possible its correct. I really dont know much on this campaign to be honest. To me the first one seems off. Im not sure why but as I said I have some color blindness also on certain colors. :oops:

I was a finalist to get into flight school for the Marines. Not only did I fail the flight physical beacuse I was color blind, the only colors I passed was the red and green. The colors that everyone misses. I failed 3 different test. :evil: But I am much better now. :twisted:

DBII

Coral brown was Corps of Engr Sand Brown #3. I found the FS number. The desert pink was actually a brown but the sun turned the yellow pigments into pink. A group of desert pink B-24 were deverted to the Pacific and called the pink elephants.

Phnix Island 1943

Remember reading a pilots biography who was stationed a short while in the Phoenix islands in P-39's out of Panama, he mentions the special paint jobs. Can't remember what book or pilot it was though........

Hi,
Can anyone tell me what the Blue Grey was that was used on USN a/c during 1942 and prior to the change to the Sea Blue.

Many Thanks

I've got a Piper J-3 Cub 1:48 kit next on my to do list. The instructions give decals and an overall colour of Olive Green for the US Army version.

I may look at an option of US Army training aircraft as it was claimed to have trained 80% of all US pilots in WWII. Can someone advise a reference for colours and markings for a training aircraft? I'd be very grateful for any advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back