Weird Luftwaffe markings - identification help request

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

simast

Recruit
Aug 28, 2012
Hello,

I came across these two photos and need some help identifying the markings.

Fi156-21f.jpg

Fi156-113f-s.jpg

The plane is Fi 156 "Storch" (most likely C-1 variant), however I am puzzled with the markings.

The code is "ST-".. does it have anything to do with training schools? Is it pre-war? Also note the unusual red Hakenkruez on white circle on the wings and the side.

Or could this actually be Finland markings?

Thanks for any help,
Simas

Last edited:
Only two countries had a "swastika" for thier aircraft's national insignia, Finland and Latvia.

Finland was light blue on a white circle, the cross being horizontal. Latvia's was red on a white circle, the cross being on end, like the Nazi swastika.

Undoubtedly it's the finnish national marking. Also the ST-113 is the finnish number used for the marking of the type... ST= Storch.

ST 113 served with the Finnish 14th Reconnaissance Squadron until it crashed on 26/10/40.
It was one of two Fi 156 K-1 aircraft bought from Germany in 1938. The other,ST 112, survived the war and served until 1960.It is on display at the Finnish Aviation Museum at Vantaa in its later civil markings and with a non-original engine.
Steve

100% Finnish.

It is a white circle with a blue swastika.

Germany never used it as a national insignia (only on the rudder). Germany's was the black Balkenkreuz.

Like I mentioned above, there were only two nations that used the "Swastika" as thier national insignia

Finnish Gladiator, late 30's
(light blue cross on a white circular background, cross aligned horizontally)
Finnish_gladiator.jpg

Latvian Gladiator, late 30's
(red cross on a white circular background, cross aligned 45° to horizon)
Latvian_Gladiator.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back