Yellow under-nose panels on JG300 aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Alte Hase

Airman 1st Class
Sep 25, 2011
Hi all,

Quick question-is anybody able to explain what the purpose of painting the lower nose cowling yellow was on the FW190 sturmbocke of JG300? I've seen quite a lot of profiles that show this (klaus bretschneider's Red 1, Ewald Preis' Yellow 1, Karl Spenst's Black 10...),but then many JG300 aircraft flying at the same time with the same unit didn't carry this marking?

I'm inerested to find out what the yellow underside cowl is for, and why did some aircraft have it and some didn't?

Thanks!

I believe the Yellow panels were painted at the factory, and that the order to remove them came though mid to late 44 (off the top of my head, I dont have access to sources atm), so newer aircraft to the unit would not have had the yellow under cowl.

Theres also the chance certain producers of 190s didnt paint the yellow on in the first place, it was common occurance with 109 production so could have happened with 190s as well.

Thanks guys, Unfortunately when I use the link to LEMB it just says it can't find it?

Andy... I don't think these links of LEMB site can work properly. It might be fine for registered members only, I'm afraid.

Apologies guys you may well have to register. But it don't take long and it's free. :)

There is no neeed to be sorry Mate. There is a couple of guys here who are LEMB registered members as well. But for many others there is not always enough of time for being everywhere. :lol:

Yes, sadly it's not letting me in. It says I can't register as I'm using a Gmail address. I haven't got another type of email address, so I can't access it :(

actually there were not that many Sturm Fw's of the 3 Sturmgruppen that wore the yellow undercowling colours, it was used for ID purposes ............... same application in all Reich defense fighters both FW and 109's of all Reich units.

Well, to paraphrase the thread, it doesn't talk specifically about JG300 but more about the apparent rarity of red under cowls. There are a few pics of apparently red undercowled machines and one interesting colour pic of two 190's side by side. One has a red cowl and the other a yellow one apparently proving that colour pics showing red undercowls are not necessarily actually depicting yellow ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back