2/KG.806 Badge and info. Help?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
I need to obtain clearer details on the unit badge of 2/KG806, carried on their JU88's in 1940. Specifically, the aircraft I am looking for is Werke Nr. 4068, M7+DK, a JU88A-1, which belly-landed near Bromborough, Wirral, UK, on 9 October 1940, after a three-minute fight withthree Hurricanes of 312 (Czech) Squadron, RAF.
One of the Hurricane pilots who shared the victory was Josef Stehlik, who was from Slavicin, Roman's (Seesul) home town and, as some of you might know, I am about to build a 1/32nd scale model of the downed JU88, to go in the Museum at Slavicin, and possibly a painting of the action tro accompany it. (if I can complete it before August this year!)
The only images I have of the badge are not that clear, and are shown below (images from 'Fly Past' magazine, 1985, via Z. Hurt, courtesy of Millom Museum.). Unfortunately, when I had some trouble with my CD drive, all the info and description of the combat, and the badge colours, was lost due to a corrupted disc!
What I need is, if possible, a better photo or drawing of the badge, and its colours, and also confirmation of the 2 staffel code letter 'D' . Also, if anyone has any further pictures of the crashed aircraft, I would be very, very grateful. Again, I had some general shots of the whole aircraft, showing the damage and its 'pose' and position on the South bank of the River Mersey (now re-claimed land, and built upon), but these were also on the corrupted disc!
I've been in touch with the relevant newspaper offices for the region, and the Millom Museum, the latter holding records of all aircraft crashes in the North West of England, civil and military, and obtained the attached shots from the latter, which are the only ones I now have.
This is important to me, as I feel that, being able to contribute something to the Museum might go just a little way in expressing our thanks of gratitude to those Czechs who fought on our behalf, and also as a thank you for the wonderful reception and hospitality shown by the people of Slavicin during my visit last August.
Any help will be gratefully recieved and acknowledged. Thank you in anticipation.
Terry.

Attachments

• Buys 120.jpg
    Buys 120.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 162
  • Buys 121.jpg
    Buys 121.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 176
Hell's Bell's! Talk about a rapid response! Absolutely brilliant VB, thank you very much indeed mate! All I have to do now is hand paint it, twice, in 1/32nd scale!!

Terry, are you hand painting by choice or have you considered scanning the above shot, scalling and then printing to decal paper? I'm producing some decals that way.

2 staffel aircraft letter should be black or red but I don't know what was used on this particular machine.

Thanks Andy, I have the Staffel letter as probably Red, which ties in with normal procedures - just wanted to confirm.
As for the badge, I'll either re-scale the artwork David posted, or hand-paint it onto card, at a convenient size, then reduce it, and print onto white decal sheet (clear doesn't hold density on some colours, especially against a dark background), trim as required, the retouch as neccessary once applied. If all else fails, I can hand-paint direct onto the model in this scale without major problems - I hope!
If I'm able to produce the painting of the action, I'll also need to paint the badge then, in oils on canvas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back