Aircraft With Contrarotating Props

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

carson1934

Senior Airman
Feb 20, 2009
Arezzo, Italy
You will find as attachment a listing (which I hope it should be fairly complete) of aircrafts with contrarotating props together with year of first flight.
I edited a similar handwritten listing on post #2809 page 188 of "aircraft identification V"
Should anybody find more types I have overlooked, he's more than welcome to let me know
carson1934:D :D

Attachments

• 01.pdf
    529.1 KB · Views: 546
Cheers mate.

Attachments

• Curtiss-XBT2C2.jpg
    Curtiss-XBT2C2.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 663
You will find as attachment a listing (which I hope it should be fairly complete) of aircrafts with contrarotating props together with year of first flight.
I edited a similar handwritten listing on post #2809 page 188 of "aircraft identification V"
Should anybody find more types I have overlooked, he's more than welcome to let me know
carson1934:D :D

For the sake of completion please add following item to the above list:
- Douglas XA2D1 Skyshark (1950) only 8 actually flew!
A2D Skyshark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Happy landings!
carson1934:lol: :lol: :lol:

There was also a one off Vought Corsair tested with contra-props.From WW II Fact Files,USN USMC Fighters,1977,WGreen G Swanborough,ISBN0-668-04121-8.
Ed

Thanks very much otftch for the most interesting pictures. This is the kind of response I am expecting for my thread!
carson1934:D :D :D

Found this two profiles on some artist's web site. Note that this is purely fictional, but wouldn't be cool if it was real?

Attachments

• Me-109-Flying-Bulls-.jpg
    Me-109-Flying-Bulls-.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 558
  • Me-109-Red-Bull-.jpg
    Me-109-Red-Bull-.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 1,222
How about a Fairey Battle with the Vulture engine

Hi pbfoot
following your picture of the Fairey Battle with contrarotating props I have performed some reading this evening and found out that the engine installed in the Fairey Battle was a Fairey P24 Monarch (K9370) which was tested in flight in 1939.
Please read the following very interesting and comprehensive thread edited by Antoni to whom all credit go:
Fairey Battle evaluated in the USA - Key Publishing Ltd Aviation Forums.
Cheers and thanks again
carson1934

Found this two profiles on some artist's web site. Note that this is purely fictional, but wouldn't be cool if it was real?

Hi Imalko,
Yeah very cool indeed....if it was true!
Thanks anyway for contributing to my list of aircraft with contrarotating props which is getting more and more complete.
carson1934:):):)

And not forgetting co-axial helicopters which in a sense are Contra-prop Aircraft (well you did not specify aeroplane did you ?)

300px-KamowK32A.jpg

Last edited:
.... and why not remember the Shackleton ?

31_Shackleton_mail_drop_Aug1970.jpg

Hi Cromwell,
thanks very much for your attention to my thread. The avro Shackleton is included in my first list as per post#1 in the 4th position.
I'm considering helicopters but for this I'll have to edit a separate thread, anyway thanks for giving me a starter...
carson1934

OK the Shack was a repeat - its a fair cop

Mind you it is interesting that the PR Spit is flying with an Ex Shack Griffon and Contra mechnism. It might even be using Shack props too -

Comments Welcome

Hi Cromwell,
thanks very much for your attention to my thread. The avro Shackleton is included in my first list as per post#1 in the 4th position.
I'm considering helicopters but for this I'll have to edit a separate thread, anyway thanks for giving me a starter...
carson1934

Users who are viewing this thread

Back