pictures

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ATP

Recruit
Mar 11, 2010
hi im a new member and i wonder if anyone can help me out im trying to find if any photos exist of lancaster ED502 WSV it was shot down by HTMP HANS DIETER FRANK on 10/04/1943 over snelrwaard utrecht holland any info or pics would be helpful and appreciated very much

Date: 10 April 1943

Type: Lancaster

Service History: 9 Sqn del'd 21-1-43 WS-V, WS-Y, WS-V

Classification: Shot Down

Night/Day Raid: Night

Target/Tasking: Duisburg

SOC/Crash Site: Snelrewaard, Holland

Crew Names: W/O A.M. White, RNZAF ; Sgt. N.P. Tutt; F/O H. Robertson ; P/O G.J. Gibbings ; Sgt.
W.A. Barker ; Sgt. W.R. Jakeway ; F/O N. Bird

All crew lost.

TUTT, NORMAN PERCY. Sergeant (Flight Engineer), 812184.
Royal Air Force (Auxiliary). 9 Squadron, Royal Air Force.
Died 10 April 1943. Aged 22.
Son of Percy John and Annie Elizabeth Tutt of 44 Somerset Road, Ashford, Kent.
Norman enlisted in the Royal Air Force (Auxiliary) in 1938, and was a pupil at the Ashford North County Modern (Boys) School 1932-1935.
Buried Oudewater Protestant Cemetery, Zuid, Netherlands.
Grave Ref: Plot 6. Grave 64.
Also commemorated about two miles away from where he and his comrades died. On the opposite side of the road from the cemetery where Norman and his comrades are at rest, which is just outside the Roman Catholic Cemetery, the local inhabitants of Oudewater have erected a small but respected memorial in rememberance and honour of the seven crew of Lancaster bomber ED502 WS-V. The memorial at Oudewater is both well maintained and cared for. A remembrance service is conducted every anniversary of the crash to commemorate the seven who lost their lives, all vehicle movements are stopped, with local diversions put in place whilst the service takes place and is also very well attended every year. Norman and the six airmen who were killed with him are the only Commonwealth casualties at rest in the cemetery, and lie in adjacent graves, which are of course officially maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission; unofficially they are equally well cared for by the Dutch inhabitants of Oudewater. Norman and his comrades lost their lives when the aircraft crashed at Snelrwaard, Utrecht near Oudewater, Holland after being shot down by an enemy night-fighter on the night of 10 April 1943 at 2245 hours. In a bomber force of 104 Lancasters and 5 Mosquitoes, Norman's Lancaster which was flown by 23 year old Warrant Officer (Pilot), Arthur M. White, R.N.Z.A.F. of Hamilton, Waikato,Auckland, New Zealand. The aircraft had taken off from R.A.F. Waddington, Lincolnshire at 2048 hours 10 April 1943, to attack Duisburg, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany. With thick cloud obscuring the target area the bombers scattered their bombs over a wide area, and 8 of the Lancasters were lost. Lancaster bomber ED502 WS-V, had been on the strength of Norman's squadron since 21 January 1943, and by the time it was shot down had completed a total of 142 hours. It is believed that at the time of his death, Arthur White was flying his thirteenth sortie as captain of his own crew. Oudewater is a village 24 kilometres south-west of Utrecht, 9 kilometres east of Gouda, and 37 kilometres north-east of the city of Rotterdam. The cemetery is on the eastern outskirts of Oudewater, on the northern side of the road to Montfort, and contains only seven Commonwealth war graves, they being the Lancasters crew who are buried in adjacent graves.
[Serial Range ED303 - EE202 This aircraft was one of a batch of 620 Lancasters ordered from A.V.Roe (Chadderton and built from Nov42 to Jun43 as 129 Mk.1 and 491 Mk.111 up to ED782 and all as Mk.111 from ED783 onwards. This aircraft was a Mk.111 and was delivered to 9 Sqdn 21Jan43. ED502 wore the ID's WS-V/Y ED502 took part in the following Key Operations: As WS-V, Hamburg 30/31Jan43; as WS-Y, Lorient 13/14Feb43; as WS-V, Nuremburg 25/26Feb43; St.Nazaire 28Feb/1mar43; Nuremburg 8/9Mar43; Berlin 27/28Mar43; Berlin 29/30Mar43; Essen3/4Apr43. When lost ED502 had a total of 142 hours. ED502 was one of three 9 Squadron Lancasters lost on this operation. See: ED566; ED806. Airborne 2048hrs 9Apr43 from Waddington. Shot down by a night- fighter and crashed at 2345hrs 9Apr43 at Snelrewaard (Utrecht), 3 km NE of Oudewater, Holland, where all are buried in the Protestant Cemetry. P/O Gibbings came from Salisbury in Southern Rhodesia. In civilian life F/O Robertson was a Chartered Accountant. W/O A.M.White RNZAF KIA Sgt N.P Tutt KIA F/O H.Robertson KIA P/O G.J.Gibbings KIA Sgt W.A.Barker KIA Sgt W.R Jakeway KIA F/O N.Bird KIA It is believed that W/O White RNZAF was flying his thirteenthh sortie as captain of his own crew.
Still looking for photos, but I found this so far.

Last edited:
HI Beaupower sorry its been a whille answering problems with my comp thank u very much for the info u sent me its appreciated iwould be glad for any further info u track down until then my search continues thanks again ATP

hi im trying to find any photos info etc on lancaster ed502 can anybody out there help me with this thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back