Zmaj Aircraft (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

carson1934

Senior Airman
Feb 20, 2009
Arezzo, Italy
Would appreciate a list of aircrafts produced by the yougoslavian company Zmaj and if possible their pics and comments if available at all.
Thanks in advance for your assistance and friendhsip
carson1934

Hello Carson!
Give me some time and I will see what I can find about Zmaj build aircraft. Are you looking for just a list of aircraft or some additional informations on each type? Anyway I will see what I can do...

In the meantime, here is picture of one of the planes licence-build by Zmaj factory at Zemun - Hawker Hurricane Mk I.

Edit: It appears that this particular aircraft shown on this picture is not Zmaj built Hurricane but one from the first batch of 12 Hurricanes delivered from Britain in April 1939. Second batch was delivered from Britain in spring 1940. So in event Royal Yugoslav Air Force had total number of 24 Hurricanes delivered from Britain. In addition to this a licence production was agreed for additional 48 Hurricanes to be build by Zmaj (24 planes) and Rogožarski (24 planes).

The picture shows Hurrricane Mk I (2306/VI) on 27th April 1940 at Zemun airport. In June of the same year this plane was involved in accident when Captain pilot Vladimir Bosner during landing colided with one Bf 108 Taifun. Both crew members of Taifun were killed while Hurricane sustained only minor damage.

Attachments

• 36879_175970821_HOKER-02.jpg
    36879_175970821_HOKER-02.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 622
Last edited:
Excellent find Viking...
Well, I found some info about Zmaj factory at Zemun, which means that I have some translating to do. However, for start here is the list of Zmaj build aircraft which I was able to compile on short notice. Additional info and available pictures will fallow in future posts.

Henriot H-32
Henriot H-41
Dewoitine D-27
Gourdou-Leseurre
Fizir-Wright
Fizir FN
Fizir-Vega A.F.2
Fizir-LAF
Fizir-Nebojša
FP-1 and FP-2 (trainers designed at Zmaj)
Spartan Cruiser
Hawker Fury
Hawker Hurricane Mk I
Zmaj R-1

Last edited:
Hello Carson!
Give me some time and I will see what I can find about Zmaj build aircraft. Are you looking for just a list of aircraft or some additional informations on each type? Anyway I will see what I can do...

In the meantime, here is picture of one of the planes licence-build by Zmaj factory at Zemun - Hawker Hurricane Mk I.

Thanks very much Imalko for your prompt reply.
If you don't have time a simple list of Zmaj's will do, if instead you've got a bit more time some additional infor or pics would help...
carson1934[-o<[-o<

Under licence:
Dewoitine D.1 - probably
Hanriot H.32 (25+20(?) planes)
Hanriot H.41 (10 planes)
Dewoitine D.27 (4 planes)
Spartan Cruiser (only 1 one)
Gourdou-Leseurre :) (I don't know what type, fighter-trainer, 20 planes?)
Haker Fury (?)
Hawker Hurricane Mk I (16 planes)

Own constructions:
Fizir Wright (1928, speed 165 km/h, 2-seater, basic trainer, 15 planes + 3 hydro, with Jupiter. But mayby these hydro are Fizir Mars)
Fizir Maybach (1926, 165 km/h, 2-seater, basic trainer, with Maybach)
Fizir FN (1929, 148/160 km/h, 2-seater basic trainer, 20 ones with Walter NZ 120 HP + 10 with Mercedes 120 HP, entire production to 1939 - 170 ones in Zmaj and Rogozarski)
Fizir FP-1 (basic trainer, project only?)
Fizir FP-2 (1933, 238 km/h, 2-seater, trainer, with Gnome Rhone 7K, evolution FP-1)
Fizir FT (trainer, monoplane)
Zmaj R-1 you can :)

Data are compiled from book Aviation of Serbia and Yugoslavia 1901-1994 and websites:
Zmaj Fizir FP.2
??????? ????????? ? ??????????? ???? - ??????????
Fizir FN

And photos from cited book:
Spartan Cruiser

Fizir FT
fizirft.jpg

Fizir FN
fizrfn.jpg

In post #4 I gave list of Zmaj build aircraft which I was able to compile on short notice. This will be fallowed which short history of "Fabrika aeroplana i hidroplana Zmaj A.D." as soon I manage to translate some materials I have found. In the meantime I will post few pictures of Zmaj aircraft with comments.

Picture 1
Heres is one of 10 planes Zmaj FP-2 build in 1945.Photo was taken at Zemun airfield. This 10 plane batch was first delivery of Yugoslav indigenous aircrafts to the new Tito's Air Force.

Picture 2
First three examples of Fizir FN (FN=Fizir nastavni or Fizir trainer) were built at Zmaj in 1930 for flight school of Central Aeroclub. They are shown here at Zemun Airport with Aeroput hangars seen in the background.
At Zmaj, Rogožarski and Albatros (from Sremska Mitrovica) there were build a total of over 200 of this basic trainer airplanes, making Fizir FN the most produced indigenous airplane in Yugoslavia prior the WW2.

Attachments

• 18848_56721180_Zmaj%20FP-2.jpg
    18848_56721180_Zmaj%20FP-2.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 702
  • 18848_85064921_fizir-FN.jpg
    18848_85064921_fizir-FN.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 650
Last edited:
In post #4 I gave list of Zmaj build aircraft which I was able to compile on short notice. This will be fallowed which short history of "Fabrika aeroplana i hidroplana Zmaj A.D." as soon I manage to translate some materials I have found. In the meantime I will post few pictures of Zmaj aircraft with comments.

Picture 1
Heres is one of 10 planes Zmaj FP-2 build in 1945.Photo was taken at Zemun airfield. This 10 plane batch was first delivery of Yugoslav indigenous aircrafts to the new Tito's Air Force.

Picture 2
First three examples of Fizir FN (FN=Fizir nastavni or Fizir trainer) were built at Zmaj in 1930 for flight school of Central Aeroclub. They are shown here at Zemun Airport with Aeroput hangars seen in the background.
At Zmaj, Rogožarski and Albatros (from Sremska Mitrovica) there were build a total of over 200 of this basic trainer airplanes, making Fizir FN the most produced indigenous airplane in Yugoslavia prior the WW2.

Thanks very much indeed Imalko for your very prompt reply and for the excellent pictures.
carson1934:D:D

Under licence:
Dewoitine D.1 - probably
Hanriot H.32 (25+20(?) planes)
Hanriot H.41 (10 planes)
Dewoitine D.27 (4 planes)
Spartan Cruiser (only 1 one)
Gourdou-Leseurre :) (I don't know what type, fighter-trainer, 20 planes?)
Haker Fury (?)
Hawker Hurricane Mk I (16 planes)

Own constructions:
Fizir Wright (1928, speed 165 km/h, 2-seater, basic trainer, 15 planes + 3 hydro, with Jupiter. But mayby these hydro are Fizir Mars)
Fizir Maybach (1926, 165 km/h, 2-seater, basic trainer, with Maybach)
Fizir FN (1929, 148/160 km/h, 2-seater basic trainer, 20 ones with Walter NZ 120 HP + 10 with Mercedes 120 HP, entire production to 1939 - 170 ones in Zmaj and Rogozarski)
Fizir FP-1 (basic trainer, project only?)
Fizir FP-2 (1933, 238 km/h, 2-seater, trainer, with Gnome Rhone 7K, evolution FP-1)
Fizir FT (trainer, monoplane)

Zmaj R-1 you can :)

Data are compiled from book Aviation of Serbia and Yugoslavia 1901-1994 and websites:
Zmaj Fizir FP.2
??????? ????????? ? ??????????? ???? - ??????????
Fizir FN

And photos from cited book:
Spartan Cruiser

Fizir FT
fizirft.jpg

Fizir FN
fizrfn.jpg
Thanks very much Tzaw1 for the prompt reply and excellent pictures I'm very much indebted to you.
I only have one question and this regards Fizir FT/1 "Nebojsa":
I have collected some nice pictures of this aircraft but would it be possible to know when she flew for the first time? Jus the year of course...
carson1934:D:D:D

Here is one photo of Zmaj Fizir FN (Fizir Nastavni) which I took when I visited Aeronautical Museum in Belgrade few years ago. As for "Fizir Nebojša", so far I managed to find that it was build sometime between 1927 and 1932.

For more pictures of this particular plane see the fallowing link: FIZIR FN

Attachments

• img_ 107.jpg
    img_ 107.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 579
Last edited:
Here is one photo of Zmaj Fizir FN (Fizir Nastavni) which I took when I visited Aeronautical Museum in Belgrade few years ago. As for "Fizir Nebojša", so far I managed to find that it was build sometime between 1927 and 1932.

For more pictures of this particular plane see the fallowing link: FIZIR FN

Thanks Imalko for the lovely picture of Fizir Nastavni which I'm downloading and keeping it preciously!
In the meantime I have another favour to ask you (and I hope after this I won't bother you any longer):
concerning the Fizir Vega AF/2 (a wonderful amphibian I think) I could only find one picture (a front image). Would it be possible to have a side view or three quarters view or maybe a profile?
Thanks for your assistance
carson1934

Thanks Imalko for the lovely picture of Fizir Nastavni which I'm downloading and keeping it preciously!
In the meantime I have another favour to ask you (and I hope after this I won't bother you any longer):
concerning the Fizir Vega AF/2 (a wonderful amphibian I think) I could only find one picture (a front image). Would it be possible to have a side view or three quarters view or maybe a profile?
Thanks for your assistance
carson1934

Ciao Imalko,
you might be interested in knowing that thanks to your help and to Tzaw1's I was able to compile a very nice file over aircrafts from former Yugoslavia.
I'm now asking for a bit more help, i.e. if you could get me a picture/image of the: Zmaj Fizir LAF and Zmaj Fizir Wright.
Thanks in advance for your help
carson1934:happy2::happy2:

Hello Carson,

I'm glad that my posts were usefull to you. However, I went through all books and magazines that I own and wasn't able to find some of the pictures you need, in particular Fizir Vega A.F.2, Fizir Wright and Fizir LAF. Fizir Vega A.F.2 was build only in one example as prototype so I imagine that pictures of this plane would be quite rare. I suppose that picture of this plane you mentioned (view from the front) is the same one which can be found on Wikipedia page.
Now I'm not saying that pictures of those three planes don't exist or that they weren't published somewhere, its just that I wasn't able to find them so far. But I will keep looking and if I find something will let you know.In the meantime I will keep posting information and pictures that I have at my disposal.

So here is the Zmaj Hurricane Mk I (No 2347) one of the last two Hurricanes delivered on 11 April 1941 when Axis attack against Yugoslavia was already under way. There were originally 24 Hurricanes ordered and build at Zmaj. They were delivered as fallows: 15 examples before 6th April, 2 on 7th April, 2 on 8th April, 3 on 9th April and two on 11th April. So all Hurricanes produced at Zmaj were delivered, while another 24 planes ordered at Rogožarski were never completed.
Zmaj build Hurricanes were all delivered to 52. vazduhoplovna lovačka grupa 2. lovačkog puka (52nd Air Fighter Group 2nd Fighter Regiment). Last two Zmaj Hurricanes No 2347 and No2348 were supposed to be flown from Zemun to Veliki Radinci airfield. Just before tako off on 11th April two Zmaj Hurricanes were attacked by German Bf 109Es while on runway . No2347 was seriously damaged at remained at Zemun while No2348, piloted by major Adum Romeo managed to reach Veliki Radinci only to be destroyed by ground personel during the retreat the next day. According to some historical sources several Zmaj build Hurricanes were delivered unarmed because of the lack of machine guns.

Source: Naša krila issue 35 September 2001, photo © Petar Bosnić Collection

Attachments

• hurri_01.jpg
    hurri_01.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 651
  • hurri_02.jpg
    hurri_02.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 842
Last edited:
Royal Yugoslav Air Force used total number of 50 Furrys - 10 Hawker build, 24 licence build by Ikarus and 16 licence build by Zmaj.

Here is one Zmaj Furry used by 5. vazduhoplovni lovački puk (5th Aviation Fighter Regiment).

Source "Naša krila" Special edition: April 1941 - Fighters of the Royal Yugoslav Air Force
Photo: Milan Micevski Collection

Attachments

• Copy of Copy of z00014.jpg
    Copy of Copy of z00014.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 368
Last edited:
Royal Yugoslav Air Force used total number of 50 Furrys - 10 Hawker build, 24 licence build by Ikarus and 16 licence build by Zmaj.

Here is one Zmaj Furry used by 5. vazduhoplovni lovački puk (5th Aviation Fighter Regiment).

Source "Naša krila" Special edition: April 1941 - Fighters of the Royal Yugoslav Air Force
Photo: Milan Micevski Collection

Thanks for the nice picture and information Imalko.
Now I have something else if it isn't inconvenient to ask you, I'm looking for pictures and information on the Ikarus 215 which I think was a trainer. I only have a picture of it which I found on 1000aircraft photos if I'm not mistaken but that's all..
Look forward hearing from you
carson1934:dontknow:

Don't worry about the Ikarus 215 Imalko I found on the web a couple of nice pics of this aircraft. The only thing I need to know is: can you tell me when the Ikarus 215 was built? That's all
carson1934

Last edited:
I was unable to find any good photos of Zmaj built aircraft, sorry. I only managed to find pictures of Hurricane and Hawker Fury but those were already posted. I will try again, but will be able to do it only as early as Friday, maybe Thursday, because I'll be away from my computer.

Cheers until then

From Zlatko Rendulić Avioni domaće konstrukcije posle drugog svetskog rata.
Ikarus 215,
trainer bomber.
Production: 1 prototype
2 engines Ranger SVG-770C-BI, 2×450 HP
Designer: Dušan Stankov.
Semi-monocoque metal airframe, wooden wings cowered with plywood.
Max. mass: 4900 kg
Vmax = 374 km/h at 3000 m
Max range: 1120 km
take-off: 273 m
landing: 474 m

Attachments

• ikarus-215.jpg
    ikarus-215.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 420
Last edited:
Nice find mate. You have some books which I don't (at this time anyway :D).
However, you could have resized the picture first. It's way too big. It appears that's the same picture Carson found on "1000aircraft photos" website, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back