50 SQN Lancaster Mk1 VN-K ME578 "Pictures wanted"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mdalman7416

Recruit
May 28, 2013
York
I am trying to find pictures of 50 Squadron Aircraft VN Markings Lancaster Mk1's. I am looking particularly for any pictures of VN-K ME578 lost on 22-23 March 1944, or even any pictures relating to the crew.

Some info I have found on a quick search............

http://www.wickenbymuseum.co.uk/Museum/Newsletters/Newsletter July 2012.pdf (look at page 10 of this newsletter)

Axis History Forum • Heavy and long-range bombers of the allies - exact losses
50 Squadron Codes (Serials attached to VN*K code)
50 Squadron
Lancaster ME578 FTR 22 March 1944 - crash site confusion - Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (posts regarding VN*K crash info)

Hope this gets you closer to what you are after.
Bill

Hi Bill thanks for the links I have already seen these , my only problems seem to be finding any pictures of this particular aircraft.

Very good chance that no photos exist of ME578. She arrived on Squadron on 2 January 1944, during a very cold, snowy and then wet winter, before being lost on 22/23 March - perhaps not encouraging conditions for photography. And, of course, unofficial photography was forbidden, in theory, plus crews and other personnel probably had more on their minds.
I have photos of 50 Sqn Lancs in various books, but not necessarily taken during the period in question, if they would help. Is there any specifically you're looking for (apart from ME578 of course) - markings styles, nose art etc ?

Hi sorry for not replying sooner have been away on hols. You could well be right about no pictures of this aircraft. I know there is a picture of the crew together meant to be stood in front of the aircraft, this info was passed to me by the daughter of one of the two crew members who survived and became a P.O.W.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back