P-61 Black Widow requested pics (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Messy1

Master Sergeant
Nov 21, 2007
Ankeny, Iowa
The Black Widow is my favorite plane, but trying to find some modern pics of this plane has been a problem for me. If anyone could help me out that would be great. I know that only a handful still exist. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Bryon.

I love the P-61 myself. Here are a couple pics.

Attachments

• p61_infl.jpg
    p61_infl.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 563
  • 0239755.jpg
    0239755.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 520
I can't say really. Not much combat time, performance results are average. I guess I just think it looks cool I guess. Must be the forked tail as I also like the P-38.

The P-61 is among my favorites as well. One of my Dad's uncles maintained Black Widows for a brief time,
late-war and post-war.

Here's a few views of the NASM bird. The first four, taken during re-hanging of the port engine, were sent
to me by an acquaintance... the last one is from the NASM online 'press-room'...

2-pre-instal.gif

2-mid-instal.gif

2-finished.gif

2-close-up.gif

WEB10586-2006h.gif

Images showing the bird at the NMUSAF can be found HERE.

Photos of the Beijing example can be found HERE.

And lastly, but not leastly... MAAM's bird, being restored to airworthy...

The Widow's Web

A few additional views of all four survivors can be found on Airliners.net and MyAviation.net.
(Specific search results on MyAviation cannot be linked, so just do a search for 'P-61' under 'Aircraft'.)

I love that plane.

Me two ....I know it was not the best but a lot of the planes I like were duds..LOL...

So any info on how the P-61 got to China...????..

Went by a antique shop today and they had a P-61 model in the box for $8.00 ..The box was a good 18 inches plus long good size ...Almost got it ...I'm just not a modeler..I was thinking of you model perverts on there ..LOL..

So any info on how the P-61 got to China...????..
Uncle Sam sent it over in 1944 or 1945 and, although there are conflicting stories as to the how and why,
it never came home...

Anyhoo, she is a P-61B, serial number 42-39715, and she undoubtedly served with either the 426th or
427th NFS... with the latter being a good bet, if at least one of those aforementioned conflicting stories
is to be believed. Here's a quote from Wiki or some other site:

The official story is that one of the P-61s that were based in Sichuan Province during the war was
turned over to the Chendu Institute of Aeronautical Engineering in 1947. When the Institute moved to
its present location, it did not take the plane with them, instead it was shipped to the Beijing Institute
of Aeronautical Engineering in 1954. As both USAAF night fighter squadrons (426th, 427th) that served
in China were inactivated in 1945, this may not be accurate.An alternate explanation is that at the end
of hostilities in 1945, the 427th was in the process of bringing their various detachments back to a
central airfield for disposition of the aircraft and to start processing home. At one of the satellite airfields
there were three P-61s, two in need of maintenance. Reportedly some Chinese communist troops came
onto the field and ordered the Americans to leave, but to leave their aircraft behind.

I'm sure someday the truth will come to light... and then maybe not. Whatever the case may be, it would
be pretty groovy if someone could manage to acquire this bird and bring it back to the USA. Or, as an
alternative, I've read that the Chinese claim to have two more P-61s in storage, and have offered them
for sale for a couple MIL$. Dunno how true that is... if it's on the level, and if there's more than just a
pile-o-parts, maybe some insanely rich wing-nut like Paul Allen will jump at the chance.

thirtybg, thanks for the pics and the info. I want to see one a P-61 in person sometime. I also wonder how many more planes (not just P-61's) are still overseas waiting someone to buy them and bring them home.

The Mid-Atlantic Air Museum is currently rebuilding a P-61 back to flight status. I was in Reading, Pa. a few years back before I knew of this project so I did not get a chance to go look at her. I'll be keeping an eye out for when she is airworthy and I'm sure she will visit the Oshkosh EAA show when done.

MAAM's P-61 Recovery and Restoration Project - The Widow's Web

Users who are viewing this thread

Back