Accidents and losses (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Excellent pictures. Does anyone know of pictures of US heavy bomber in-air collisions? I'm looking to illustrate General LeMay's quote about rendezvous above the clouds with B-17s. "Sometimes you would see a column of smoke and know that 2 aircraft had collided."

Also anything illustrating dangers of tight formation flying, esp. in bombers.
thanks

post-214-1182895059.jpg

post-214-1182895078.jpg

how about these

this was Mission 358 to Berlin May 19th 1944.....the lower B-17G was "Miss Donna Mae II " (42-31540) 331BS / 94BG (the square A is visible on the tail in the second photo ) (Lt. M.U.Reid ).
The 1000 lbs were from Lt. J. Winslett's B-17F "Trudy" ( 42-97791 ) of the 332BS.
During the subsequent spin a wing came off, needless to say no-one got out.

Last edited:
While certainly a world renowned picture, I highly think that was not at the top of the risk likelihood level for occurrence for safety in tight formations under attack. I still say that blue-on-blue gunner fire had to be the most likely for risk occurrence. Books I have read, penned by actual gunners indicate I am likely right. Some gunners actually earned a bad reputation for poor ops.

Focke Wulf Fw-200 ditches in the Atlantic after attacking a convoy

Attachments

• Focke Wulf Fw-200 ditches in the Atlantic after attacking a convoy 001.jpg
    Focke Wulf Fw-200 ditches in the Atlantic after attacking a convoy 001.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 169
  • Focke Wulf Fw-200 ditches in the Atlantic after attacking a convoy 002.jpg
    Focke Wulf Fw-200 ditches in the Atlantic after attacking a convoy 002.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 176
More pics

Attachments

• Caproni Ca-133 (Alemania).jpg
    Caproni Ca-133 (Alemania).jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 183
Focke Wulf Fw-190D9, Aachen, Germany (1945)

Attachments

• Focke Wulf Fw-190D9, Aachen, Germany (1945).jpg
    Focke Wulf Fw-190D9, Aachen, Germany (1945).jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 162
More pics

Wasn't the Corsair said to the one of, if not the single hardest plane to land? At least on a carrier. I've heard pilots say that the cockpit is so far back and the nose was pitched so high up when landing that you had to land based on instincts alone.

Good pics. Regarding the last pic of the B24, the information I have is that the brakes were applied on take off (happened fairly often, as the wheels had to be braked immediately after lifting off), and the aircraft nosed over, killing all in the nose. There is a description of this incident in 'Wild Blue', by Stephen Ambrose, and this aircraft is from the same unit, in Italy.

1st, great book and 2nd it would explain why there is barely any structural damage to the fuselage and no "crumpling" effects from going nose first into the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back