Aircraft ID help

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

andershalverson

Recruit
Mar 5, 2013
Hi,
I'm new and really don't know anything about WWII aircraft. Actually, I'm posting because I'm interested in fish.
Fish and game agencies began stocking lakes and ponds out of aircraft after WWII. The first planes they used were military planes. I have recently obtained some photos of these early operations and would appreciate it if any of you could identify the plane pictured in these photos:

fws4572.jpg

fws4577.jpg

also at:
Loading the Plane | Anders Halverson
and
Loading Plane with Fish | Anders Halverson

and finally, can anyone confirm that this is a C-45?

airstock2.jpg

also at:
Loading the Plane | Anders Halverson

Thanks
Anders

Not an Electra... fuselage too skinny. Definitely a C-45. The man pouring the fingerlings is blocking the round window just behind his head/hat. The "odd" looking VHF antenna fairing on the spine of the fuselage is a replacement for the WWII era UHF/HF aerial that would spanned from port vertical fin to just aft of the cockpit.

Not an Electra... fuselage too skinny. Definitely a C-45. The man pouring the fingerlings is blocking the round window just behind his head/hat. The "odd" looking VHF antenna fairing on the spine of the fuselage is a replacement for the WWII era UHF/HF aerial that would have spanned from port vertical fin to just aft of the cockpit.

Good stuff guys!

Just to add, the Avenger is a TBM-3, not sure how much it would need to have been modified though. Only external difference on Kiwi TBF's used for crop dusting trials was the plated over turret position (guns removed but turret gear retained), and the modified ventral gun position from their target tug days, when the aerial winch was fitted. AFAIK bomb bays remained in standard configuration.

Yep, Avenger, with the second aircraft being either a Beech C-45 'Expiditor', or the civilian version, Beech 18. The fitting on the top (American football or UK Rugby ball!) is the housing for the D/F loop.

Thanks all.
I was told elsewhere that the third plane was a Beechcraft C-45, so that seems to make sense.
I don't know what they would have needed to do to the avenger to make it better suited to stocking fish.
Here's a picture of it stocking trout into Lake Powell, in case anyone is interested.

fws5066.jpg

Funny, actually they also dropped beaver out of the planes in one effort. Beaver in a burlap sack with a parachute.

Spent a bit in British Columbia. Ate a terrible dinner at Whistler BC during the offseason. A cute lass that was waiting our table warned us of Beaver Feaver. Turns out she was serious. My bad.

Giardiasis - Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Diagnosis - Condition Factsheets - Body Health

Giardiasis is an intestinal infection caused by a microscopic, single-celled parasite known as Giardia lamblia. A parasite is an organism that lives on or inside another organism called the host. Typically found in lakes, streams, or ponds that have been contaminated by human, muskrat, dog, or beaver feces, giardiasis is also known as "beaver fever."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back