Attack on Wake Island (1943) (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Pong

Staff Sergeant
Sep 2, 2007
Manila, Philippines
Found these photos from LIFE. The Attack on Wake Island on the birthday of my mom (October 05, 1943). LIFE has quite some amazing photographs of the War.

16kx7nl.jpg

160oh84.jpg

2l8b3t4.jpg

2ex6539.jpg

29cb5kx.jpg

egr42h.jpg

-Arlo

LOVE the SBDs in the clouds... i need a siggy from that

I have a Lodge brother that was on Wake when the Japanese captured it. He was one of the first American POW's
of the war. I guess he's in his late 80's or early 90's. He, and others on Wake, were POW's the entire length of the war.

By the time we took it back he had been shipped to Japan.

Charles

I have a Lodge brother that was on Wake when the Japanese captured it. He was one of the first American POW's
of the war. I guess he's in his late 80's or early 90's. He, and others on Wake, were POW's the entire length of the war.

By the time we took it back he had been shipped to Japan.

Charles

In that respect he was lucky.
The men the Japanese kept on the island they executed before we could take it back.

ExecutedToday.com 1943: 98 American civilian contractors on Wake Island

Massacre on Wake Island

Battle of Wake Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wheels

LOVE the SBDs in the clouds... i need a siggy from that

Also, I think those aren't clouds , but actually smoke. :confused: From the other photos showing the smoke of the bombing I think they are smoke.

Anyway, that shot is still amazing and I have now made it a wallpaper for my PSP. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back