Avro Anson Mk.I close to flight

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

nuuumannn

Major
Oct 12, 2011
Nelson
Hi Guys,

Here are some pictures of an Anson that has been undergoing a 10 year transformation not far from where I live. At present it is in our hangar undergoing final assembly before its first flight. The aircraft was built as Mk.I MH120 and served with the RAAF. The restoration work is outstanding, with as much original equipment fitted as possible (or as deemed appropriate by the CAA!)The following is courtesy of ADF Serials website:

"2 AP 20.3.44. 1 AOS 20.4.44. AFRU12.2.45. CMU Deniliquin 3.10.45. 1 AD 12.12.47. DAP Parafield 25.2.45. APL 29.10.48. 2 AD 25.10.49. Sold 23.2.53. Registration VH-BLP(2) reserved 12.8.53 for J. McInnerney (trading as Greenfield Air taxis, Albury, NSW) but not taken up. CoR No 2371 as VH-BAF issued 9.9.57 to Aerocartographic Service, c/- Brain Brown, Moorabbin Airport, Cheltenham, Vic. Damaged when undercarriage collapsed, Moorabbin, 7.10.60 and cancelled. Restored 16.8.63 (with CoR No 2371 re-issued on 5.9.63 as an Avro 652AM (Modified)) using Anson C.19 VM375's tapered metal wings from RAAF stocks and some components from VH-BIX, to Brain Brown Air Freighters Pty Ltd., Moorabbin, Vic. Cancelled at owners request 2.10.74. Restored 13.1.84 to Z.A. Brain, Doncaster, Vic, and named 'Last of the Lot' as the world's last airworthy Mk.1 Anson. Was on display at Airworld at Wangaratta, Vic. Sold 2002 to Bill Reid, dismantled and shipped to Nelson, New Zealand. Under restoration to fly at Wakefield, NZ Will be restored to original "glasshouse" configuration."

Ansonhangari.jpg

Ansonhangarii.jpg

Ansonhangariii.jpg

Ansonhangariiii.jpg

Ansonhangariiiii.jpg

This is a picture of it I took in 1991 at Air World, Wangaratta, Australia. It wears the markings of Col Roscoe Turner's Boeing 247, which it played in a movie about the 1934 McRobertson Air Race.

VH-BAF002s.jpg

For those of you who view the Anson as an obsolete second rate type, you're right; by WW2 it was, but it was significant to Commonwealth countries as their first "modern" combat aircraft. The basic design was based on the Avro Ten, which was a licence built Fokker F.VIIb trimotor - steel tube/fabric covered fuse, with single piece wooden wing. First entering RAF service as a maritime reconnaissance bomber in 1936, the Anson lasted 32 years, primarily in the trainer and transport role. It was nicknamed "Faithful Annie". The Aussies operated over 1,000 of them and this particular one was the last flying Mk.I in the world - and will be so again. Originally Anson Is were fitted with wooden wings, but in Australia they were grounded from 1962. This was refitted with a metal wing from a later model. In all, 10,996 Ansons of all marks were built, with production ending in 1952. Only two Ansons are flown on a regular basis, both are in the UK.

Avro XIX (civil version) G-AHKX

AvroXIXground.jpg

AvroXIXtaxi.jpg

AvroXIXinflight.jpg

Anson T.21 WD413

WD413i.jpg

WD413ii.jpg

I'll post more pictures of it after completion.

Great stuff. I remember the odd 'Annie' 19 or T21 coming into my local airport in the early 1960s. Last time I saw one flying was on the air show circuit in the late 1980s or early '90's. Love the purr of those engines.

Uuuh oohhh...

Last night whilst at work on our fleet, we noticed that the Anson's port u/c oleo was collapsing in front of our very eyes! The owner was called and he's dealing with it today.

AnsonHangarleani.jpg

The same thing in 1991:

VH-BAF001s.jpg

Last night:

AnsonHangarleanii.jpg

Looking at these two views, it's hard to believe they are the same aeroplane, although the lean gives it away! :(

Last edited:
A wee update; Bill and Robyn Reid's Anson had its post restoration flight today (that's the 18th here in Kiwiland)! Sadly I wasn't there in the morning for the first flight, having worked last night, but I saw it fly this afternoon.

18072012001s.jpg

18072012003s.jpg

18072012006s.jpg

18072012008s.jpg

Well done Bill and Robyn. :D

Love them myself Joe, though like you, hard to say why. She's not a 'beautiful' bird, but there's still something attractive about her...

A b!tch to form no doubt!

I spoke to the owner of the aeroplane who said that the humps were made of pure ali, so were/are soft as, so easier to form than we might think - all bashed by hand against a wooden mould. The rear section of the cowls were magnesium and had rotted away, but Bill said they spent quite a bit of time banging out the dents and welding up holes in the helmets. The results are pretty smart.

Sure is!

Thanks for that info Grant, not easy work, soft ali or not! As I said before, full credit to their workmanship...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back