Battle Damaged Aircraft of WW2 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

well back in the day Fighters and bombers were made like rocks. even if something got chipped off they could still fly and land. A tribute to amazing engerneering

A poor scan but you can see the damage
Cool and famous Photo. If my memory serves me correctly this was a 21Sqdn A/C on Ops with 100grp Possibly the Aarhaus or Coppenhagen raids. on another occasion a 464 Sqdn A/C returned with a Swastica Flag embedded in its nose, removed from the top of the target building!

Clipped Hurricane after "a collision with an enemy aircraft."

Graeme that pic reminds me of this 75 sqn RAAF Kittyhawk that survived an aerial collision and flew the 200 odd miles over water to his base. Remarkable stuff.
source Australian War Memorial

Attachments

• umpCAO304JH.jpg
    umpCAO304JH.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,304
  • umpCA7375JY.jpg
    umpCA7375JY.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,511
  • 75sqnRAAF6.jpg
    75sqnRAAF6.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1,239
Cool and famous Photo. If my memory serves me correctly this was a 21Sqdn A/C on Ops with 100grp Possibly the Aarhaus or Coppenhagen raids. on another occasion a 464 Sqdn A/C returned with a Swastica Flag embedded in its nose, removed from the top of the target building!

G'day P-Popsie. According to adf serials MM401 was SB-J with 464sqn RAAF.

Ah Cheers for that wasn't sure. But knew it was one of that bunch's birds. Do you know if the 75 Sqdn bird in your photo's was during the time of "Bluey" Truscotts tenure as skipper and is this at milne bay ?

Here's a nice one of an IL-2. It evidently got hit by some very big flak shell. This happened in the Summer of '43 (Kursk, maybe?). Notice that one of the wing root fillet plates was completely blasted away. It's amazing the rear spar didn't fail. Also notice what appear to be small shrapnel holes in the wooden skinning below the metal flashing on the gunner's position. Makes me wonder what happened to the gunner.

Venganza

Attachments

• IL-2 - 2-Seater - Chewed Up by FlakJPEG.JPG
    IL-2 - 2-Seater - Chewed Up by FlakJPEG.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,047
Ah Cheers for that wasn't sure. But knew it was one of that bunch's birds. Do you know if the 75 Sqdn bird in your photo's was during the time of "Bluey" Truscotts tenure as skipper and is this at milne bay ?

Nice pics Wildcat.

As per Popsie above, what's the 'long' story behind them? I couldn't find them in the AWM site. Cheers.

G'day Guys. This occured on the 9th of August 1944. the squadron was flying a patrol over Cape Sansapor when a turn was affected causing two aircraft to collide, F/O Bath and F/Sgt Barden both being killed. F/O Jacklins' Kittyhawk was hit by the colliding planes causing the extensive damage to his left wing as seen in the pics. He managed to fly the 200 miles back to Noemfoor and make a successful landing.
BTW Popsie, Bluey commanded 76 sqn at Milne Bay and not 75. This incident obviously taking place many months after his unfortunate death.

Here are a few more for yall. The 4th picture is supposedly a B-24 on fire. I really cant tell. What do yall think?

This is "Little Warrior" from the 493-rd BG. A very famous photo, but usually shown in the wrong angle as on the photo below:|
B-24OVERGERMANY-small.jpg

See B24 Best Web site for the photo and details about this a/c:
LITTLE WARRIOR (PIC 2)

Daniel, the picture shows a B24 Liberator of the 448th Bomb Group, 8th Air Force, based at Seething, U.K. It was shot down by Me262's on 4 April, 1945. The photo is from the USAF archives, and I had heard that, in the original print, it is possible to distinguish at least one of the crew amid the debris near the severed rear section of the fuselage/tail. Presumably this would be one of the waist gunners. Whether any of the crew survived, I don't know, but a check on the 448th's web-site might provide an answer. R.I.P.

Appreciate the info Terry and time taken to write it

Have to do some more research into it.Just had a quick look for about 10minutes and couldn't find much but Alas determination will get me anywhere

Wouldn't mind making a model of it to

Thanks again Terry

Hi Phase. The B24? Yes, I've heard about, or read, the same. The actual damage (Damage! I mean catastrophic failure!) is more like the result of a heavy flak hit, but I have also seen a still, and some of the footage, from a single '262 clobbering a B17, and causing roughly the same sort of tearing up, resulting in the rear fuselage breaking away due to the stresses. I'll probably go with the '262 account, as it seems the most prevalent. But, it's got me interested now, so I think I'll check it out, see if I can find out more.
Cheers,
Terry.

the B-24 cut in half by 3cm M shells was one of 3 B-24's from the 448th bg shot down by III./JG 7 as well as 1 B-24 from 93rd bg. this was the second attack formed up by 262's of III./JG 7 they were to do a third attack near Stendal agasint B-24's as well and one was destroyed by R4M's.

pilots Schenk. Rademacher, Pritzl and Pfeiffer each claimed the B-24's in the second attack wave near Hamburg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back