Battle Damaged Aircraft of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Not buying it. Entire tail severed, and part of right wing, including aileron.

I am honestly not buying it either. Had it just been missing the vertical and rudder, or one of the horizontals and elevator, then sure. I'm thinking it may have been damaged in flight or during the landing, but the tail was then completely removed after the landing took place.

From this site...The Digital Collections of the National WWII Museum : Oral Histories | Oral History

Header: B-25 BOMBER DAMAGED AFTER AN ON-GROUND COLLISION WITH ANOTHER AMERICAN PLANE, SFAX, TUNISIA, 1943 Yow!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did not mean for it to be that large and BOLD.

Caption: North American B-25D Mitchell bomber with part of the fuselage, from the insignia (Star-in-Circle) to the tail, and part of a wing missing after a collision. Servicemen appear to be salvaging parts. "340th ship after collision with #49 at Sfax." Sfax, Tunisia. 1943

From this site...The Digital Collections of the National WWII Museum : Oral Histories | Oral History

Header: B-25 BOMBER DAMAGED AFTER AN ON-GROUND COLLISION WITH ANOTHER AMERICAN PLANE, SFAX, TUNISIA, 1943 Yow!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did not mean for it to be that large and BOLD.

Caption: North American B-25D Mitchell bomber with part of the fuselage, from the insignia (Star-in-Circle) to the tail, and part of a wing missing after a collision. Servicemen appear to be salvaging parts. "340th ship after collision with #49 at Sfax." Sfax, Tunisia. 1943

And there you have it. Just like I suspected in my original post, it was ground damage. Thanks for finding the clarification though.

b-17 7.jpg
b-17 6.jpg
b-17 5.jpg
b-17 4.jpg

I was trying to figure out how the heck that thing could have flown and landed like that, thanks for the info.

When the B-17 was hit by flak the tail gunner, S/Sgt. Roy Urich, was blown out of the plane. The rest of the crew learned later that he survived. Years later, other crews reported seeing him flying through the formation still sitting on the TG's bicycle seat and holding the handles to his twin .50's. According to Urich himself, just before the blast he bent over to talk on his radio. This was the exact time that the blast hit the plane. He was knocked unconscious and fell from the plane. He managed to gain consciousness as he was falling and deploy his parachute. Upon landing on the ground he was captured and taken to a POW camp. He had a gash to the top of his head, which required medical attention. View attachment 523970
Wow, that truly is a miracle story.

Are you sure that is not ground damage. If you look at the pic closely you will see damage to the right wing as well.

I can see landing without your rudder (A B-52 did it as well), but not without your rudder and elevators.

Oh yes! That B-52 would become know as "In HARM's Way" thanks to the HARM missile fired at it accidentally on purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back