Battle Damaged Aircraft of WW2 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This is a painting of an actual event
rgclashofeagles_big.jpg

A Bf109 pilot's guns jammed just as he was about to fire on a flight of 3 P-51B Mustangs. Not content to let his prey go scot-free, he rams one of the enemy and brings it down. Both survived the war and were firm friends till they passed away.

Yeah for sure... There would be alot of interesting forces acting on the pilot, unless it just dropped like a piece of paper, just straight down... At any rate the -51 pilot was one lucky guy!

Info on the pictures.........

"On May 25th, 1944, CPT. Joe Bennett's three man flight of P-51's ran into a formation of Bf 109Gs from III./JG 1 over Sarreguemines near the Franco-German frontier, and the American found himself locked in mortal combat with Obfhr. Hubert Heckmann, a grimly tenacious-some may say foolhardy-foe. When the guns of Heckmann's Bf 109G-6/AS yellow 15-1 jammed, the German refused to let his quarry escape. Pulling up his Messerschmitt's nose, he caught Bennett's P-51B-7-NA s/n 43-6572 codded VF-N in a mighty Daimler Benz buzz-saw that sliced off the Mustang's entire tail section. The American's aircraft madly whirled out of control, but the pilot bailed out unhurt to become a prisoner of war. Released at war's end, Bennett was eventually credited with 8.5 victories and was awarded three distinguished service crosses.

Following his collision with the American, Heckmann successfully belly-landed his Bf 109G-6/AS (Wnr. 163 796) near Botenheim. Returning to duty was his unit, he was injured in air combat with a P-38 followed by a crash landing near Compiegne, France, on August 5th, 1944. He returned to duty, later flew Me 262s with JG7, and survived the war with 5 victories."

From the book 'Flying Ace's'

Artwork by Roy Grinnell

few more Battle Damaged Aircraft shots got nothing but respect what they went threw:salute:

Last edited:
few more Battle Damaged Aircraft shots got nothing but respect what they went threw:salute:
i stuffed the post up my bad 2nd time lucky.
not too sure about the spit ( Battle Damaged)

Attachments

• 2699659403_9de0624093_o.jpg
    2699659403_9de0624093_o.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 899
  • Spitfire Ouch.jpg
    Spitfire Ouch.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 1,375
  • Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-666-6875-05,_Abgeschossenes_amerikanisches_Flugzeug_B_17.jpg
    Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-666-6875-05,_Abgeschossenes_amerikanisches_Flugzeug_B_17.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 907
  • b268.jpg
    b268.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 904
  • b269.jpg
    b269.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 900
  • hellcat_340.jpg
    hellcat_340.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 895
  • atzero close kk.jpg
    atzero close kk.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 881
1-Ju-88A-KG806.1-(M7+FH)-WNr4547-France-1940-01.jpg

The Ju-88A-1 of I./KG806 coded M7+FH shows considerable damage inflected by RAF fighters during the Battle of Britain. The yellow bar beneath the white letter is unusal but it's significance is unknown.

"On May 25th, 1944, CPT. Joe Bennett's three man flight of P-51's ran into a formation of Bf 109Gs from III./JG 1 over Sarreguemines near the Franco-German frontier, and the American found himself locked in mortal combat with Obfhr. Hubert Heckmann, a grimly tenacious-some may say foolhardy-foe. When the guns of Heckmann's Bf 109G-6/AS yellow 15-1 jammed, the German refused to let his quarry escape. Pulling up his Messerschmitt's nose, he caught Bennett's P-51B-7-NA s/n 43-6572 codded VF-N in a mighty Daimler Benz buzz-saw that sliced off the Mustang's entire tail section. The American's aircraft madly whirled out of control, but the pilot bailed out unhurt to become a prisoner of war. Released at war's end, Bennett was eventually credited with 8.5 victories and was awarded three distinguished service crosses.

Following his collision with the American, Heckmann successfully belly-landed his Bf 109G-6/AS (Wnr. 163 796) near Botenheim. Returning to duty was his unit, he was injured in air combat with a P-38 followed by a crash landing near Compiegne, France, on August 5th, 1944. He returned to duty, later flew Me 262s with JG7, and survived the war with 5 victories."

Artwork by Roy Grinnell

Bennett received three Distinguished Flying Crosses - not DSC's. I think JC Meyer was only 8th AF fighter pilot to receive 3 DSC's.

Nex to Miss Quachita is...Heinz ''Pritzl" Bär is wearing his favourite US leather flying jacket, his wingman Oberfeldwebel Leo Schuhmacher is standing to his right

piet.

Last edited:

Artwork by Roy Grinnell

The P-51s in this incident were from the 4th FG right? I remember hearing this story from a WWII Veteran I met once who was a crew chief with the 4th FG. I wish I could think of his name, but it was a very brief meeting about 4 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back