Beaufort down...Sidi Barani

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jeff Hunt

1st Lieutenant
Jul 20, 2012
Guelph Ontario Canada
Many many years ago when I was just a wee lad of 13 years of age I was walking home from school. It was garbage day in the neighbourhood and I just happened to look on top of a pile of trash sitting on the curb waiting to be picked up. A small envelope was on the top and I put the grab on it and inside found a small number of aircraft photos from WWII. This is the first of them. On the back of the photo all it says is

Beaufort
Sidi Barani

I have looked and looked but can see no identifying marks on the aircraft nor are there any landmarks. The link below gives a brief overview of the battle of Sidi Barani, a small town in Egypt along the coast of the Mediterranean Ocean.

Sidi Barrani (Battle) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IMG_0003.gif

Cheers,

Jeff

...It was garbage day in the neighborhood and I just happened to look on top of a pile of trash...

My dad used to run the municipal incinerator and occasionally find medals and other military items and it always made me wonder how much history was thrown away without anyone realizing it.

Geo

Don't be fooled by the white on the cowling lip; that's not a unit marking or anything like that. The cowling leading edge is formed by the exhaust collector ring, which is normally a stained natural metal.

Although, you could be right, Chris, it is just as likely, or probably more so that its a 39 Sqn machine since that unit was based at Sidi Barani. Also, have you got more info to go with that image, Chris, like when, where etc?

Last edited:
Makes a person stop and wonder how many rare photos and/or documents have fallen by the wayside by natural disaster or disinterest through the years.

Some of these photos document occasions that will, in time, fall from living memory and in some cases, quite possibly provide proof of an otherwise debatable incident.

Awesome find and thanks for sharing it! :thumbleft:

That's true, Chris. You could be right. Beauforts in theatre wore two different camo schemes, Dark Green and Ocean Grey topsides and Azure Blue undersides or Desert Sand and Brown top sides.

The following is a common, but interesting image of a 39 Sqn Beaufort II at Luqa.

File:Beaufort_39_Sqn_RAF_at_Luqa_Malta_1943.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was gonna post that one when I found this one from 39 sqdrn. Same cowling colors but the darker camo. Who knows? :)

39 Squadron01.jpg

Nice find, Chris! Fantastic image. The colour pic was taken in 1943 and shows a Mark II powered by two Twin Wasps as opposed to the Taurus' in the Is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back