can you identify this Wheel??

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

keithsussex

Recruit
Feb 17, 2013
Hello

I have found this aircraft wheel at a place that was home to canadian in WW2 in sussex

can anyone tell me what aircraft this wheel is from?

Photo 17-02-2013 17 04 16.jpg

When you get a chance, try to measure the diameter and width of the wheel, and the same on the tyre, and note any markings visible on both. At approximately one metre, or around 40 inches, it's more likely to be a main wheel, but the pattern of the hub, at the moment, isn't ringing any bells with me.

hi, thanks for the info, i ll be heading there tonight so i ll post details later

i ve measured the tyre and wheel, but no obvious markings. plus another picture of the other side of the rim

tyre - 760 x 200 mm

rim 340 mm

spindle/axle 30mm

Photo 18-02-2013 17 53 25.jpg

Ah, so not quite as large as at first thought. It's in the right region to be something like an Avro Anson main wheel, and the proportions of wheel to tyre are about right, with a similar wheel hub pattern.
The axle shaft seems very small though, at only 30 mm, to take any substantial weight or stress.
Compare it to the wheels on this Anson at Duxford.

Attachments

• Duxford  May 2011 008.jpg
    Duxford May 2011 008.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 176
Yep, still reckon she's Annie or Oxbox wheel from the hub design and general dimensions, though if neither, may be a Cessna C-45 item, used by the RCAF as trainers.

Yep, still reckon she's Annie or Oxbox wheel from the hub design and general dimensions, though if neither, may be a Cessna C-45 item, used by the RCAF as trainers.

the RCAF sounds good. the site where this is at was over run with Canadians in WW2 training for D DAY. its not far from Coolham which I belive was Canadian Spits under Bader?

IIRC the RCAF also trained on Tiger Moths and Ansons keith, so the 'Annie's still my first guess.

(No idea re the Spitties btw, but someone else will no doubt know...)

Certainly has a very similar hub pattern, and tyre profile as the Anson. And they were still in service until the late 1960s, so could easily have been 'acquired'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back