Chinese Designed and built aircraft during WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

vikingBerserker

Lieutenant General
Apr 10, 2009
South Carolina
While doing some research, I was able to borrow a book called A History of Chinese Aviation - Encyclopedia of Aircraft and Aviation in China until 1949 written by Lennart Andersson

I had no idea, but the Chinese actually designed and produced aircraft during WW2, some under liscense but others were home grown originals. The two that I find really interesting are the following:

Yench'u XP-1.JPG
XP-0.JPG

The XP-0 supposedly had some Hawk 75 components and had the following figures:
Wingspan: 11.20m
Length: 8.74m
Height: 2.82m
Empty Weight: 2000kg
Maximum Takeoff Weight: 2850kg
Maximum Speed: 450km/hr
Service Ceiling: 9000m
Range: 1840km
Powerplant: P&W R-1830-S1C-G x 1 Twin Wasp air-cooled radial piston engine, 1200hp
Armament: 12.7mm MG x 1, 7.62mm MG x 1
Crew: 1

BTW, the book is fricken awesome!

The history of the Chinese has always facinated me. How a culture that achieved so much in science, (way before "western culture") could have degenerated over the years to a disjointed, fractured peoples, only to rise again reciently, is amazing. I urge all Americans to buy their Chinese language tapes now, they are on their way. Mark my words, The 21st century will be the rise of the Chinese.

Living next to China, I feel their growth is a big baloon.
Sorry to say but I can see nothing in it.

Looks like scaled down DC-3 legs on it. The prop doesn't look big enough to justify gull wings. And..... it looks like it's in someones back yard!

I think the Iranians might have found work for the designer's descendants. It looks a little too much like a mock-up using aircraft parts.

The book sounds cool though, Viking.

They would not have qualified for Iran, as these really flew! The book is awesome, just really difficult to find a reasonably priced copy.

Hi Viking, I came across this wee gem in a book about 20th Century conflict, the caption says its a Curtiss Hawk 75, but that's not right. I thought it might be a Curtiss design or some sort of NA-16 conversion, but I couldn't place it as being anything recogniseable, but now I can! It is almost certainly the XP-0 in the line drawing above.

ChineseFighter_zps5628661c.jpg

Hay guys while searching for parts manuals for the P&W R1830, I came across this ebook that viking was talking about.
DepositFiles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back