Faded Glory

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Geedee

Senior Master Sergeant
Dec 5, 2008

Last edited:
There are places like this at many airports. Sometimes they are tucked away in a far corner. Neat to see, but kinda sad at the same time. Here is "Miss Universe" as she looks now, and in her former glory.

Attachments

• DSC_4190.jpg
    DSC_4190.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 200
  • DSC_1232.jpg
    DSC_1232.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 195
  • DSC_1088.jpg
    DSC_1088.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 193
Gary,

Wouldn't it be nice if they got the Mauler and Dragon back in the air, or at least in a museum somewhere?

Keep 'em coming!

Regards, Jim

PS I still say you look like a surfer dude from SoCal.

Great idea for a thread and cool photos, Gary!

Hopefully, someone will take pity on Miss Universe and restore her :(

Marcel, that '109 is cool!

I sure wish I had some photos of the "boneyard" at Chino from when I used to scrounge around there when I was a kid. All the old hulks down on the western end of the property near old quonsett buildings...this is going waaay back to the 70's, but I recall climbing around in old cargo planes and old TBM firefighters among other warbird carcasses including a well picked-over fuselage of a Fw190.

Wonder what ever happened to all that stuff...

Great idea for a thread and cool photos, Gary!

Hopefully, someone will take pity on Miss Universe and restore her :(

Marcel, that '109 is cool!

I sure wish I had some photos of the "boneyard" at Chino from when I used to scrounge around there when I was a kid. All the old hulks down on the western end of the property near old quonsett buildings...this is going waaay back to the 70's, but I recall climbing around in old cargo planes and old TBM firefighters among other warbird carcasses including a well picked-over fuselage of a Fw190.

Wonder what ever happened to all that stuff...
I think most of it's still there. This is some of the better preserved aircraft.
I am pretty sure there is another area with more cannibalized ones.
IIRC this is there to be restored section ??

FH050004.jpg

FH050005.jpg

FH050007.jpg

FH050013.jpg

Wheelsup

Thans GrauGeist I took them in December 2008. They were my last hurrah with film.
After spending more on developing the film than what a digital camera cost I bought one.

Planes of Fame Air Museum Hours and Directions
On this site map all of them are located in the "Jet Aircraft, Tank, Vehicle Displays" section.
I had to duck under some of the wings to get the shots from behind because thay have them parked so close.

If this satellite link works when you zoom in completely you will see a mass of aircraft just up and to the left of the tag. That is where I took the shots I posted.
ACME Mapper 2.0 Planes of Fame
The marker tag is located on the Gift shop.

Wheels

Posted this in my D.XXI thread last year. Last remaining Dutch Fokker D.XXI (no 229). Legendary for shooting down a Bf110 by jettisoning the canopy which ended up in the Bf110's propeller. Was shot down afterwards and remained in the soil until 1990 when it was digged out again. On display at a ford near Amsterdam with more of the Crash 40-45 collection.
71757.jpg

71758.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the links, Wheels!

The boneyard I am remembering used to be on the far western edge of the airport proper, near Euclid Ave. and was of considerable size and also held relics from TV movie productions.

I see from the satellite map that Chino has really changed, which is no surprise, but the complex of older hangars and the rows of quonsette buildings I remember are long gone. There also used to be an entrance from Euclid Ave.

Posted this in my D.XXI thread last year. Last remaining Dutch Fokker D.XXI (no 229). Legendary for shooting down a Bf110 by jettisoning the canopy which ended up in the Bf110's propeller. Was shot down afterwards and remained in the soil until 1990 when it was digged out again. On display at a ford near Amsterdam with more of the Crash 40-45 collection.

That is fricken awesome. Tragic she is the last, I always loved the Fokkers.

Thanks for the links, Wheels!

The boneyard I am remembering used to be on the far western edge of the airport proper, near Euclid Ave. and was of considerable size and also held relics from TV movie productions.

I see from the satellite map that Chino has really changed, which is no surprise, but the complex of older hangars and the rows of quonsette buildings I remember are long gone. There also used to be an entrance from Euclid Ave.
I think the movie aircraft have been brought into the hangars.
I know the Corsair used in Black Sheep Squadron and the F-86 used in the John Wayne movie Jet Pilot are in the hangars on display.

If you pan out and look around you will see that the area has really built up from when you remember it.
Several new housing tracts and road improvements.
I hadn't been to the museum since 1992 when I went in 2008 and boy was I shocked at how much it had changed.
I am sure I walked around the boneyard you were talking about in 92 because the museum grounds were not nearly as built up as they are now.

Wheels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back