fleet air arm Yeovilton

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

woljags

Staff Sergeant
Dec 28, 2010
maidenhead uk
after a visit today to the fleet air arm Yeovilton i took some pics,not to Terry's standard but the best i could,i will try and get these on over the next few weeks ,a good day out for anyone interested in going and the staff were very helpful,highly recommended if you get the chance to go

Looking forward to the pics Bob, and nice to hear you had a good day out, including the 'behind the scenes' visit. Love it when Museum staff are so helpful to genuine enthusiasts/researchers. I sent a 'Thank you' e-mail to Cosford after my visit, and had a reply telling me that the Assistant Curator, with whom I had arranged things, was looking out for me to say hello, but missed me. That's a nice touch I think.

thats a good idea Terry,i can pm the interesting pics if you wish although i know its not your fav aircraft,but they want me to be careful with these as they don't want a press release yet of progress

I can understand that Bob. I had a similar thing back in the early 1980s, when doing stuff with the BBMF. Lindsay Walton's Corsair had just arrived in the UK, and was 'hiding' at Coningsby, until announced to the Press. I was allowed to climb all over it, and photograph it, but had to promise to not even show the pics to anyone, let alone publish them, until the news was released.

the 1st pics are from the 1st hall

pic;1 Sopworth pup

bob5279.jpg

bob5271.jpg

bob5281.jpg

bob5286.jpg

bob5285.jpg

bob5332.jpg

bob5329.jpg

bob5331.jpg

bob5328.jpg

bob5363.jpg

bob5364.jpg

pic 3 to 12 are of the Walrus found in a scrapyard in aylesbury and bought for £5.00 in 1964

more to follow soon

Great stuff Bob, and good lighting conditions too. Bought for a Fiver!! That's the sort of thing we dream about !! Wonder if the pilot's seat is from a Seaking? Looks very like the one Gary adapted for his Mustang cockpit.

Am really glad you made the visit and are posting the photos. It's been a hope of mine to visit the museum some day and you've given me a prevue. Thanks woljags!

i got to speak to the main guy who was in charge of the aircraft restorations who was full of useful info,the walrus is as found and original,i know its had to believe ,i'd have paid him back his £5.00 with a little interest to take it home,when you really get up close to it inside it is tiny,being of a larger size now days i think i would struggle to get inside through the hatches,it was bad enough getting in the Vampire nose section of which pics will follow later as they are downloaded

did anyone know the next large project after the Martlet is going to be a Sea Gladiator,i saw the frame and engine while there ,its going to be a massive project for them

bob5283.jpg

bob5284.jpg

bob5289.jpg

bob5290.jpg

bob5288.jpg

bob5293.jpg

bob5294.jpg

bob5292.jpg

bob5295.jpg

bob5297.jpg

bob5299.jpg

bob5300.jpg

bob5301.jpg

bob5302.jpg

bob5303.jpg

bob5304.jpg

bob5333.jpg

bob5337.jpg

bob5338.jpg

bob5339.jpg

bob5343.jpg

bob5336.jpg

bob5341.jpg

bob5349.jpg

bob5353.jpg

bob5352.jpg

bob5351.jpg

bob5373.jpg

bob5367.jpg

bob5383.jpg

bob5390.jpg

bob5393.jpg

bob5395.jpg

bob5394.jpg

bob5423.jpg

bob5424.jpg

bob5415.jpg

bob5410.jpg

another selection of pics just downloaded from Yeovilton ,pics include shots of sea fury/fulmer/firefly mk1 and 5/dragonfly/avenger/hellcat/corsair/skua/mig15/albacore/swordfish/short sea plane/sea king/seafire,more to follow shortly

Last edited:
ok Terry i'll look up their details and post some again,the fulmer was a field hack at White Waltham right up to the mid 60's before ending up at Yeovilton

anytime, don't forget i do have some Martlet pics but you will have to keep them to yourself as they are not to be published,just send me a pm

Thanks Bob - it's just that some people might not know what some of the aircraft are, and brief explanations of some of the other models, and the 'underwater' scene etc, would clarify things a little, for those who can't get to the museum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back