Are they still flying? (4 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

kasper

Airman
Aug 12, 2006
www.dalesplanes.co.uk
Took these photos quite a few years ago and was just wondering if the aircraft shown are still airworthy?

Grumman Avenger
Avenger.jpg

Vought Corsair
Corsair.jpg

Me-109
me109-2.jpg

Thanks in advance

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
That is not actually a Bf-109 up there, you do know that right?
I've been wondering for the firat picture ive seen of that plane why the nose is so.... non DB-601-ish

That aircraft is a HS-1112 built by Spain.

Spain was liscense building the Bf-109 but never recieved the DB-601 engines so they put 12-cylinder "V" configured, 1,300 hp Hispano-Suiza 12Z-17 engine and a three bladed propeller. That is why the nose looks different. It is basically a Bf-109 with a different engine, built by a different country and different name.

The reason it is painted that way is because many of them are used in making movies most noticably Memphis Belle. Due to the lack of flying Bf-109s they use the Hs-1112.

The reason it is painted that way is because many of them are used in making movies most noticably Memphis Belle. Due to the lack of flying Bf-109s they use the Hs-1112.

Also in "Battle of Britain".

This Hs 1112 seems a bit similar to "jumoschmitt" - early Bf109 equipped with Jumo engines.

That aircraft is a HS-1112 built by Spain.

Spain was liscense building the Bf-109 but never recieved the DB-601 engines so they put 12-cylinder "V" configured, 1,300 hp Hispano-Suiza 12Z-17 engine and a three bladed propeller. That is why the nose looks different. It is basically a Bf-109 with a different engine, built by a different country and different name.

Many Ha-1112s were also built with Merlins and had 4-blade props, nicht wahr?

Mtr Bao

Thanks for the info on the Me-109 (or not). The shots were taken many moons ago in Northern Ireland. The aircraft involved haven't been seen here since (to the best of my knowledge) and I just wondered if they were still doing the show circuits.

Many Ha-1112s were also built with Merlins and had 4-blade props, nicht wahr?

Mtr Bao

Actually, that is a merlin powered 1112....the hisso-powered one had a substantially different cowling. Looked, I don't know, sort of Italian....

pgf

Actually, that is a merlin powered 1112....the hisso-powered one had a substantially different cowling. Looked, I don't know, sort of Italian....

pgf

Yes we know back in August of 2006 I told them it was a Hispano. The 1112 by the way is Spanish not Italian.

There are however several original 109s still flying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back