Fw190A-6 Profile Accuracy

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
Anyone know if this is an accurate depiction of this aircraft. If so, imma build this sucker as it would fit into my oddball scheme theme.

fw190a-6.JPG

Geo

I don't think that is accurate, and the source is probably from The Big Show by Pierre Clostermann. He claims to have shot down a yellow Fw-190. I've seem some of the parts yellow (such as the cowel), but never the entire bottom.

Getting interesting. The above FW is on the cover of an Aircam book with the caption "..probably Jg2"Richthoven" training unit, Triqueville, France '43". Inside, is this other profile with the same year but that it was shot down. Not happy until I find an actual photo.

fw.JPG

Geo

I think it is fiction.

Luftwaffe trainers were not painted yellow. In 1942 the elementary trainers,which often came in their original single,light,factory colours,were ordered to receive an overall coat of either RLM 70 or RLM 71 on their upper surfaces. For safety reasons they were also often given yellow wing tips,cowlings or rudders.

Advanced trainers,like the Fw 190 were subject to the same rules as front line fighters. They had often been passed on from the Jagdgeschwader and retained their original camouflage. Their unit markings would be changed or overpainted to denote their new owners.

Captured enemy aircraft used as trainers (obviously not a Fw 190) usually had their undersurfaces painted in RLM 04 (yellow).

Whilst not wanting to get into a Clostermann bashing debate I would say that his book is a self confessed "roman" and should not be taken as a literal history. Well worth a read though.

I'd also say that if you want to make an interesting and unusual model of an Fw 190,why not? It'll certainly stand out on your shelves!

Cheers

Steve

Thanks for the info Steve. Just a lot of wishful dreaming here and as I said, I need to see an actual photo. A lot of people here with way more knowledge about these things would have mentioned it in the forum by now. Again, thanks for your comments.

Geo

As a matter of interest the colours perceived by pilots in combat can be surprising. I've even read one encounter report describing a twin engined jet aircraft (probably an Arado 234) as having a pink undersurface. It was almost certainly an effect of the light on an unpainted or light coloured underside. I've read another report in which an RAF pilot reported that the Bf 109s he engaged carried roundels similar to RAF roundels. The most obvious explanation might be that they were not Bf 109s!

A Major Von Graf was shot down on that date in an aircraft supposedly with those codes.It is assumed to have belonged to a blind flying school. The problem now is that the codes for aircraft attached to flying schools comprised four letters (check edit) and no numbers after the WL registration system was superceded in October 1939.

Nothing is impossible,but lots of things are improbable :)

Steve

Edit. Some aircraft did have a number in their codes. The only one I've found was attached to a glider unit.

Last edited:
Again Steve, thanks for the info. Was just on the RCUniverse website and the discussion about this (dated 2003) was that Von Graf was actually Hermann Graff(sp) and this would all be explained in the upcoming book "GRAF GRISLAWSKI: A PAIR OF ACES". As I stated before, I know very little on things Luftwaffe and aircraft in general so it's all a very large learning curve.

Geo

The 'G3" code was for NJG 101. Was Graf ever flying with that unit?

Something doesn't smell right...

from Wiki...

In early 1943 Graf, now a major, was sent to France to command Ergänzungs-Jagdgruppe Ost, an advanced fighter pilot school stationed near Bordeaux. On 21 June he was appointed commander of Jagdgeschwader 50, a high-altitude fighter unit charged with combating the increasing menace of the high flying RAF De Havilland Mosquitos.

and from here...

http://www.luftwaffe.cz/graf.html

In the first half of 1943, Graf commanded Ergänzungs-Jagdgruppe Ost, an advanced fighter pilots' training school, based at Bordeaux in France. On 21 July 1943, Jagdgruppe Süd der ObdL was formed as a high altitude fighter unit to combat RAF Mosquito twin-engine reconnaisance aircraft.

Last edited:
I have,or had, a copy of Bergstrom's book but I don't remember Graf (one F) being shot down in a yellow 190. He did serve briefly at a fighter training unit,not a blind flying school,before his attachment to JG 50 and I suspect this is the origin of the story.

Steve.

I see I've crossed with the post from "Njaco"

Good grief! I presume "Baron von Ha Ha" is a reference to Lord Haw-Haw.

Anything to do with broadcasts by the Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda is even less reliable than Clostermann!

William Joyce,the man most often assocciated with that nick name,was hanged for treason after the war.

This is bogus.

Steve

Last edited:
Thanks for showing interest in the subject guys. I am now believing this to be a figment of someone's imagination and however much as I want a yellow 190, as the saying now goes,"Pics or it didn't happen." If I want to crank out fictitious aircraft, my next model may as well be a purple and green striped P-51 sporting a Tiger tank turret on each wing. EDITBy the by, does anyone else have a copy of the Graf/Grislawski book.

Geo

Last edited:
If you must do a Yellow 190, do a captured one there is a predominantly yellow painted one on a Karaya decals sheet if I remember correctly....

Absolutely,plenty of captured examples in all sorts of colours.
I did this nice blue one in the unusual (for me) 1/72 scale.

IMG_4833_web.gif

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back