If It Can Fly, It Can Float!!!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Njaco

The Pop-Tart Whisperer
Feb 19, 2007
Southern New Jersey
Charles' "Grumman on Floats" thread and Jan's floatplane thread got me thinking of a thread dedicated to just floatplanes, seaplanes and any other contraption that they could stick a few pylons on!

So lets post some pics!!

These are a few I've collected.....

Consolidated Catalina Mark I, AH562 'AX-', of No, 202 Squadron RAF, anchored at Gibraltar after an anti-submarine patrol.
large4.jpg

Arado Ar 196
Ar-196.jpg

and a few more...

large (1).jpg
large (2).jpg
large (3).jpg
large (4).jpg
large.jpg

That last one just looks like they had bits left over from 20 years of plane building and decided to see what they could come up with.......

What is that last one? It looks a lot like one of the Saro 'amphibians'.

Cheers

Steve

Thought I'd just chip in with a couple of pic's I picked from my father's collection which I found after Mum had passed on.

These are all Fairey F3s of 202 Squadron at Calaframa slipway in Malta. The squadron line up was in honour of the visit of Sir Philip Sassoon Secretary of State for Air 1924-29 and 1931–37. I believe this visit was sometime in 1933-34.

1 Fairey F3's on parade, 202 Sqn Malta 1932-3.jpg

2 Fairey F3's on parade, 202 Sqn Malta 1932-3.jpg

5 Fairey F3's in formation off Malta 1934.jpg

I'll have more to follow over the next few days.

An He 59.

IMG_0778_zps6f376e58.gif

This one, civil registration D-ASUO, caused some controversy. It was attacked by Spitfires of No. 54 Squadron and immediately landed on the water over the Goodwin Sands. It was taken in tow by the Walmer Lifeboat and beached, as seen here, on a beach in Kent.
The crew stated that they were searching for a Luftwaffe pilot, shot down in the area earlier that day. They were all registered with the Red Cross in Geneva, the aircraft was unarmed and clearly marked in accordance with international law. It carried a rubber dinghy, stretchers, oxygen apparatus and other medical equipment.
The British were having none of it stating that it had flown close to one of their convoys and was therefore intercepted.

Cheers

Steve

Wow, so were they held as POWs?

Yes.

The pilot was Unteroffizier Helmut Bartmann, the observer Unteroffizier Walter Anders, the wireless operator Unteroffizier Erich Schiele and the flight engineer Feldwebel Gunther Maywald who was wounded.

The aircraft was broken up in situ.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back